Histogram... How important?

Even my 26" desktop screen can't tell me if I've achieved the desired effect when the midday sun is shining right on it.

Histogram is a visual aid in interpreting an image that is hard to see. Nothing more. You use it when you need to, but you don't need to use it.

I appreciate you all helping me to expand my veiw on this

I'm by no means an expert, but I have found the histogram to be particularly useful on a couple occasions.

These were all in really bright sunlight outdoors and I couldn't see the image on screen for crap. I could make out the histogram, so that let me know roughly what the image would look like.

That's about it though. for me anyways.
-Ted

I see how it could be useful to someone, but if what i take looks good on the screen, its usually fine. if not, photoshop has my back.

photoshop can't save a blown highlight or a totally black underexposed are - the camera sensor simply does not record any data in those areas - so there is nothing to restore to.

If the informations not there, you cant save it, but who doesn't have the eyes to see if a sky is blown out? or the foreground was incredibly under exposed.

If the informations not there, you cant save it, but who doesn't have the eyes to see if a sky is blown out? or the foreground was incredibly under exposed.

There is a way in ACR to show blown out or underexposed areas using PS' histogram. Once I turned it on, I was surprised at how much I left blown out or underexposed. It is not how much things are blown out, but how big an area is without detail.

There is a lot more there than the eye can easily see, and this tool finds them very easily.

The histogram is the best tool for determining if you have the proper exposure. Anyone who thinks that the piddly little LCD screen will give them an accurate idea of the contrast, exposure or colours of the final image is sorely mistaken.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back