Historic Racing

LungFish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are from a "round the houses" meet in a nearby country town. The nature of the event meant that, relevant to other motorsport, I could stand closer to the track and the cars weren't moving quite so fast, which makes things a bit easier.

1) Nikon 55-200, 200mm, f/5.6, 1/1250. ISO 640

Northam Flying 50 by clavain1, on Flickr

2) Nikon 55-200, 102mm, f/4.5, 1/1600, ISO 640

3) Nikon 55-200, 160mm, f/5.3, 1/800, ISO 640

4) Sigma 105/2.8 Macro, f/5, 1/4000, ISO 640

5) Sigma 105/2.8 Macro, f/5, 1/4000, ISO 640

Generally I was using AF-C and matrix metering to ~1/2 stop over. Seems like that exposure compensation wasn't quite enough on average.

So what did I get right and wrong here?

Lungfish; #1, avoid the baracade being in the foreground. #5, the vehicle should have more "space" in front of it than behind it.

#6 fine as is, #7 need more space in front rather than behind.

Agree with all of that, and neither the barricade nor the cars about to run out of shot are really what I was aiming for, but I needed some variety and I didn't have better shots from those locations.

#7 is included because it's the sharpest pan I took, but the composition is not perfect.

Your shutter speeds are too fast, it removes the action of the cars in the shot. I just slow my shutter down until the wheels are visibly spinning in the shot.

I actually really like the pans. How did you choose your shutter speed for those shots?

Your shutter speeds are too fast, it removes the action of the cars in the shot. I just slow my shutter down until the wheels are visibly spinning in the shot.

I didn't think of that but it makes sense. Next time.

I actually really like the pans. How did you choose your shutter speed for those shots?

Just as slow as I could go without getting too much diffraction (1/80)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back