History of Photography Book/Textbook

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone read one or know of one that is used in college classes? There are quite a few on Amazon, so I'm wondering which ones people here like.

As you say, there are lots of books on the subject (and I have quite a few of them).
The thing to remember is that they all contain the same information so they will all get you through a College class (but it's worth asking your tutor for a recommendation).
Buying your own is a matter of choice dictated by prose style, approach and cost.
Approach is probably the biggy. Different books look at different aspect so you get a slightly different view (as well as some different pictures and photographers).
A good one to start with covering most things well is Photography by Ian Jeffrey ( http://www.thamesandhudson.com/books/Photography/9780500201879.mxs/27/0/ ). Thames & Hudson actually do a cracking good selection of books and they are all worth a browse.
Another good one (but I think it is out of print) is The Birth of Photography by Brian Coe (one time curator of the Kodak Museum).
I have one or two others I like to use in conjunction with these - in particular a French history which gives you a whole new view on the subject and introduces you to lots of great photographers you've never heard of.
The bottom line is: haunt second hand bookshops and buy all the HoP books you can afford. They will all be useful ;)

Thanks Hertz. I'm not using this for any class-- unfortunately, none on this subject are available where I live. I'll probably start out with the Ian Jeffrey book and A World History of Photography by Naomi Rosenblum. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/World-History-Photography-Naomi-Rosenblum/dp/0789203294/ref=sr_1_1/102-8774412-7587336?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176777372&sr=1-1[/ame] One review said, "there are no author's opinions, or philosophical discussions in this book, just facts," which is exactly the approach I'm looking for to start off. I really do need to get out to the used bookstore more often.. now that I work in a retail bookstore, I haven't been prowling around the used bookstores or the shelves at Goodwill like I used to!

Seizing the Light by Hirsch followed by The History of Photography by Newhall. Try doing more than just reading them. Many years ago, used them as a project to shoot the history of photography from 1840's forward to today using modern cameras.

I'll add this one to the list: A World History of Photography by Naomi Rosenblum.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back