Hobbies

used to race r/c cars professionally. raced for a factory team. traveled around the country for events.
had a few magazine appearances.
when i realized i was racing strictly for the win and not for the fun, i decided to quit.

used to compete in car audio competitions at a world level. for several years.
held a national record for 2 years. competed at world finals numerous years. took 6th in the world one year. two other years we took 4th in the world.
was a factory team captain for 3 years for our worldwide team.
had a couple different magazine appearances.

when i quit competing, i moved on to building minitrucks with airbag suspensions. built two trucks of my own, and helped a friend build two trucks.

when i bored with that, i moved on to choppers. built a 70's style cafe racer for a friend, and built a 70's style chopper for myself that i ride daily, weather permitting.

and now, i've moved on to photography.

all hobbies become an obsession for me, so i can only have one hobby at a time. :)

edit: should have also mentioned... i play violin along with my daughter, but not nearly as well.

i also play electric guitar, and have built 2 of my guitars from the ground up (let me re-phrase that, i have assembled all the parts together, i didn't make the parts) both fender squire strats.

Last edited:
analog.universe ... I have really started to enjoy cooking now that I understand it!! I love experimenting!! I don't print recipes anymore, I glance over them and wing it......lol So much more fun!! It is hard to recreate meals this way.....lol I never remember how much of everything I added....lol But it sure tastes good.

I am also a Vinyl collector.

My father is also into vinyls. I bought a lot of this last year's Christmas presents used (from the local thrift store). I came across "Jesus Christ Superstar" original recording with Ian Gillan etc. I thought "heck, I like this, my father likes it... I'll buy it!". I paid around 3 bucks for it. My father opened it, and got really surprised. The cover was in mint condition, the lyrics thing was perfect, the vinyl played like a charm with practically none noise... I had bought a mint condition piece - which are sort of rare. We took it to the local vinyl pusher, and he said he'd sell it for around 85 dollars. Man was I lucky, LOL! :D

ANYWAY, enough about that...let's talk about me! ;)
I'm a huuuuge fan of traditional wet shaving. Whenever I'm in a thrift store, I always ask if they have got any old razors, or brushes or anything shaving related in. Old DE and SE razors are sooo BEAUTIFUL, much like old rangefinders are much more beautiful than any digital slr ever made. I have 6 razors, I think. I have used every one, and I NEED MORE! :lol: I also like to "collect" brushes, and I currently own 5. Only tried 4 of them, though, the one I got for Christmas is old and small and must be cleaned. I'm thinking about re-knotting it. I'll have to think some about that...I know this guy (who I have ordered a custom made brush from last year) who'd make me a great brush if I asked him..

Other than that, I play volleyball about three times a week. This is a great sport! My diving's technique is starting to come along, and it's much much more fun to play when people really sacrifice some pain to save the ball. Of course, diving doesn't hurt if done correctly, but when sprinting 5 meters and diving and stretching to reach it, landing perfectly isn't the easiest thing - at least not for me.. Once I landed on my chin (LOL).. bled like a pig the rest of the practice.. got a small scar today :)

I like to fish. Fishing is awesome. I love to use a bamboo rod without any reel. Just tie the line to the tip, put on a worm and catch fish. Trout LUUURVE worms, impossible to not catch anything. I prefer rivers than lakes. Salt water fishing it also nice. And passive fishing from a boat, just lying there, drinking soda, eating stuff.. AHHHHHH

Walk in the mountains when I'm home.. I try to get a few trips each summer.

A new thing that might set deep roots is rangefinder photography. I suppose that goes under "photography", but it's very different than "normal photography". It really forces the "point and shoot" philosophy that many have away, and you're left with the "think and shoot" strategy. Shooting film is awesome: making each exposure count. The viewfinder is fantastic, not with that fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap mirror always fapping away in there like some fapper. I see exactly what I get, it's incredibly silent, perfect for candid family shots, street photography, travel camera... This might turn into a hobby - and I think it will. I'm trying to read up on developing film and printing.

I play classical guitar to relax sometimes.. or rather often, actually

I like to think that chemistry is a small hobby of mine. I study it, and I'm very fascinated by it. I consider it a interest/hobby.

I do other stuff as well, but it's not really a hobby. I like to read, but I don't consider it a hobby.

I get a deja vu from this thread... I feel I've written something very similar before.... hmm

Last edited:
I used to have a lot of hobbies. Aquariums, coins, atvs and guitars. Now I have 8 empty aquariums, a mostly junk collection of coins that are left over from selling off my good stuff, no atv due to my back and some really nice guitars collecting dust. Why? Photography. It has taken over my life.

Must admit when I move on from one major hobby to another I tend to try and hang onto as much of the former as I can. Far as I can see most hobbies that interested you once interest again at a later date and I hate the idea of selling on stuff that I might find hard to or very expensive to replace at a later date.

all hobbies become an obsession for me, so i can only have one hobby at a time. :)
I'm the same way.

I have thousands of dollars in telescope equipment that I never use anymore, A Fender Strat (and a few pedals, amp, etc.) that I never play, half-finished model airplanes, canvases and oil paints that are probably dried up, etc...

I've never sold any of it though, in case I get back into it one day. Plus, my kids will be old enough to use that stuff soon.

OIIIIIIIO Camera + telescope = pretty pictures of the sky and stars!
I dare you to combine the two hobbies

A new thing that might set deep roots is rangefinder photography. I suppose that goes under "photography", but it's very different than "normal photography". It really forces the "point and shoot" philosophy that many have away, and you're left with the "think and shoot" strategy. Shooting film is awesome: making each exposure count. The viewfinder is fantastic, not with that fap-fap-fap-fap-fap-fap mirror always fapping away in there like some fapper. I see exactly what I get, it's incredibly silent, perfect for candid family shots, street photography, travel camera... This might turn into a hobby - and I think it will. I'm trying to read up on developing film and printing.
I am beginning to love rangefinders. The last two cameras I bought were rangefinders (Olympus XA and Fujifilm GF670), and I just love shooting with them. The GF670 especially, is SOOOO quiet. Comparable to clicking a ball point pen open - probably even quieter than that.

Developing film is not hard. Printing is the next thing I want to do. I'll be happy if I'm making my own prints by the end of the year (trying to set a realistic goal for myself).

OIIIIIIIO Camera + telescope = pretty pictures of the sky and stars!
I dare you to combine the two hobbies
I have before (mostly for the moon). I need a better tripod to really make use of it. A better telescope would be good too (for photography). My telescope is kinda slow at f/13.3 (1200mm focal length, 90mm objective (aperture)).

Hmm if you had one of those auto-trackers you could stack shots - 1200mm would get some great shots of nebula and the like (at least from my limited understanding of astro-photography)

I do have a tracking tripod (but it's not a very good one) - it works fine for just the telescope, the added weight of the camera (especially my big-ass 1N RS with 8 AA's in it) is just too much for it. I can also mount the telescope to my camera tripod and basically use it like a big lens - but even on that one, it exceeds the capacity of the tripod head...

I really should start using it again... I used to sit outside all night looking through it.

You guys sound like my husband.....but he is going to be forever regretfully for allowing me to take over one of his hobbies!!! lol OR maybe he's happy..... it's not as hard for him to convince me to buy an expensive lens anymore. =)

Mish you still need to steal his MPE more often ;) get into really really tiny flower artings ;)
Or even forget the MPE and try alternative highmag work - the MPE is not the creamyist of background producers out there.

^^^^ Agreed, I have to change it up anyway I can!!

I use to modify/tweak vehicles.

Now that I bought a place, I spend most of my free time renovating it. I had no experience (or tools) prior to the buy, but have gathered quite a bit of both since. There isn't a single surface or inch that I haven't changed. My biggest accomplishment so far- rebuilding lower kitchen cabinets from scratch.

Most reactions

Back