Hockney Project (C&C)

Patm1313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's the image that has threatened to fry my CPU multiple times in the past week. It's a Hockney photo, named after David Hockney. If you aren't already familiar with his work, check out his website. He uses multiple (usually ~50+) images to create a unique form of photo collage. I have neither the time, the patience, or the skill to create a collage like he does, but after being assigned this as a photo project for my high school photo class, I tried my hand at making something resembling Hockney's work. The below shot uses around 30 images; I lost count before I flattened it. I appreciate any and all C&C on the image, so those who like to critique get ready for some fresh meat to sink your teeths into.

MergeFlattened1.jpg

And just a note, if anyone didn't decide to click on the link to Hockney's page, and know nothing about him, understand that this is not a panorama. There are supposed to be inconsistencies in the exposure and colors, and seams are meant to be visible. Also, the image is not supposed to be squared off, and the white space is normal. One of the key elements of this project is trying to escape the normal rectangular form and instead using a shape that goes with the subject itself.

Thanks,
Patm1313

Nobody will critique this? This is a first for me at TPF. :meh:

I'd say you did an okay job, though after having a quick look at Hockney's website it seems he has more interesting subject matter in more odd shapes that fit the style better. Your's isn't bad but the photo would be a pretty boring one if it it didn't have the wild treatment.

I'm going to redo this project, mainly because I have a new idea that uses Hockney's "painting with pictures" idea. I also want to make a defined subject and I want to use more blank space in the image.

Here's what I'm thinking. The tree will be a normal tree, but I will take specific pictures of it and orient them in PS to make the tree seem like what is below. The subject will be a person reading a book, cross legged. Any thoughts on how I can improve the composition before I go out and take this tedious shot are very appreciated, especially considering it's cold as hell where I am.

TreeIdea.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back