holga 120gn...there something similiar to it?

vietarmis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im pretty impressed by the pictures of the holga 120gn takes with the Holgan "strobe flash" sold over at Lomo. I was thinking about picking it up just to use to get those cliche weird slow shutter pictures. Good idea? Or can this effect be obtained with other simple film cameras?

Im asking because if there is a camera out there that I can buy to start on that can get this effect then Ill kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the help!

Well the Holga is cheap enough. Buy it and experiment with it. Don't think you are going to get sharp pictures.

I dont really plan on it. Does it have any sort of manual settings and options to it or is it just a novelty sort of camera where theres like 3 auto settings or something?

Well, I am not sure anymore. I played with them a little back in art school but that was when you could only get them through a dealer in Germany. They were completely manual and usaully leaked light, but that was cool.

Oooooh the holga 120GN has a glass lens! wow. that's impressive... mine's a 120N and it's plastic. It's absolute **** - but the photos from it are amazing. They're not sharp at all - except for a pretty small sweet spot towards the centre of the frame.
It leaks light something crazy - so I have a big supply of black tape.

It's got two aperture sizes - somewhere around f/8 and f/11 I think I read somewhere, but the shutter speed stays the same. And it's got a ring that you rotate to change the focus from close to far away.

If you can get it for really cheap - and I mean dirt cheap then definately get it. It's awesome fun to use!!

There are lots of different mods you can do to the Holga. Remove the 645 masking insert and take 6x6 picures with a cool vignette. The light leak is one of its best features but you can paint the inside matte black. For the price or $20.00 buy a couple and experiment away.

Ill give it a shot. Its between the Holga or the LOMO LC-A. The Lomo doesnt include a the strobe flash but it seems to have a nicer image.

the old model holga dont have a b shutter , they need to modify the shutter speed
the new model have a b shutter, all u need to do is swith on the b button .

Meysha said:
Oooooh the holga 120GN has a glass lens! wow. that's impressive... mine's a 120N and it's plastic. It's absolute **** - but the photos from it are amazing. They're not sharp at all - except for a pretty small sweet spot towards the centre of the frame.
It leaks light something crazy - so I have a big supply of black tape.

It's got two aperture sizes - somewhere around f/8 and f/11 I think I read somewhere, but the shutter speed stays the same. And it's got a ring that you rotate to change the focus from close to far away.

If you can get it for really cheap - and I mean dirt cheap then definately get it. It's awesome fun to use!!
holga is really fun camera
i got some photos in my website , if u want , u can have a look ^^

Most reactions

Back