Holga Film

holga_my_heart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was given a Holga for my birthday last November. I was excited to use up my first roll of film and took it to a small business to be developed. When I got them back, however, they were in the normal 4x6 format and it looked like they had been edited. My question is: Is there a certain developing format I should be asking for when I take them to be developed? Or, is it smarter to send off my film to be developed rather than taking it into a photo developers?

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

have them print them 5x5 or 6x6 if they can, if not, find someone else.

Also, if you can, shoot slide film through it if you get the chance..

+1:thumbup:

this is a square negative and needs to be printed square, which can be done, easily, Well easily by people who know what they are doing.

So if you open the back of your Holga there's a black piece of plastic.

That's called the "mask" I think, basically it makes sure that the image you take is a nice sharp edge.

The original Holga was 6cm x 6cm BUT you can also get a 6x4.5 cm mask (more shots per roll)

So is it square or a rectangle?

If it's square, it's 6x6

If its rectangle it's 6x4.5

If it's square, it's 6x6

If its rectangle it's 6x4.5

These are, of course, the approximate size of the negatives in centimeters and are rounded up a bit. Also, the Holga, with the mask, does not shoot the modern 6x4.5 format, which is a 15 shot per roll format. The Holga shoots the old 16 exposure format which is closer to 6x4 than 6x4.5.

It would be appropriate to print a Holga's 16 exp/roll format on 4x6" paper. The aspect ratio is not a perfect match, but close. The modern 15 shot 6x4.5" format is more appropriately printed on 4x5" paper. The square 12 exp/roll format should be printed on square paper. The old common proof size was 5x5" from professional labs and 3.5x3.5" by amateur labs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back