Home Security

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since a lot of photographers have expensive photo and other electronic equipment around their houses with the usual insurance restrictions and limits, I am curious how you secure your home from break-ins, ...as in alarm systems, monitoring, lock systems, surveillance, community watch, etc.

I discovered a break-in at a home that I was checking on while the people were travelling. The technique was interesting from the point of view of prevention. They went in through a back window without breaking it, opened up all the doors, had a lookout sitting watching the front for any unexpected arrival, and then went through the house room by room. The house backed on a unused school property, so escape out the back was possible, if necessary. Needless to say, they went after jewellry and other small expensive stuff.

I should note by the way, that many insurance companies won't cover a loss unless there is proof of a break-in. Since it is possible to get in to a lot of homes without breaking glass etc., it can become a lose..lose situation for the insured victim, who may not discover that things are missing until much later.

I notice too, that there are a lot of ads on the net, for pick-proof locks which on further research are not really pick-proof, and even approaches to opening almost any door.

So, do you give up and let your insurance company deal with it, after it happens and hope they will cover you even if there is no evidence of a break-in, or do you make the effort to secure your home as much as possible to make it unattractive to the potential burglar?

skieur

Since a lot of photographers have expensive photo and other electronic equipment around their houses with the usual insurance restrictions and limits, I am curious how you secure your home from break-ins, ...as in alarm systems, monitoring, lock systems, surveillance, community watch, etc.
skieur

Planning a few break ins are we? ;)

I have the expensive stuff on separate "riders" on the Homeowners policy. Photography equipment on one, firearms on another, electonics on another, etc.... I can lose my camera equipment and they will replace it. Don't have to be at home either, I can be on vacation, out for a walk, camping, etc... and if I misplace something or something gets lifted, damaged, anything that turns it (including lenses and/or accessories) into a paperweight... it's covered for replacement.

I should note by the way, that many insurance companies won't cover a loss unless there is proof of a break-in. Since it is possible to get in to a lot of homes without breaking glass etc., it can become a lose..lose situation for the insured victim, who may not discover that things are missing until much later.

Man, Insurance in Canada sucks!

skieur

Planning a few break ins are we? ;)

Nope. Bought a new house, so I am deciding about home security.

skieur

I have the expensive stuff on separate "riders" on the Homeowners policy. Photography equipment on one, firearms on another, electonics on another, etc.... I can lose my camera equipment and they will replace it. Don't have to be at home either, I can be on vacation, out for a walk, camping, etc... and if I misplace something or something gets lifted, damaged, anything that turns it (including lenses and/or accessories) into a paperweight... it's covered for replacement.

That sounds expensive. Quotes for me without separate riders etc. varied from $2,100 to $3,100.

skieur

That sounds expensive. Quotes for me without separate riders etc. varied from $2,100 to $3,100.

skieur

Holy crap Batman! I pay about 1/4 that amount for really good coverage on the house. The rider for photography equipment only adds $20 a year to the total cost.

Location of your home can of course determine vulnerability to burglary. A nice home within a short distance from a rough neighbourhood, a home that borders on a ravine or park, etc. and things like doors that are not visible from the street, older windows that can be easily opened from the outside, etc. are definitely not good for security.

For some areas, the problem is that everyone goes to work during the day and with no one around either on the street or in the houses, it can cause a larger than normal risk.

The police suggest that you look at your house, like a burglar and secure areas of vulnerability.

skieur

All my stuff "lives" at the studio. I never bring anything home for more than a few hours.

If somebody wants to get into a house or a business, they will. I can't see any real way to prevent it. I suppose security may interrupt or help capture a thief.

Maybe a safe is something to think about.

-Pete

All my stuff "lives" at the studio. I never bring anything home for more than a few hours.

If somebody wants to get into a house or a business, they will. I can't see any real way to prevent it. I suppose security may interrupt or help capture a thief.

Maybe a safe is something to think about.

-Pete

Yes, if someone wants to break into a house they will, but one is not usually dealing with determined pros but rather teen to twenty somethings that are looking for easy pickings.

They want to be in and out fast in busy areas, so slowing them down can cause them to go elsewhere. If for example they use a bump key and it doesn't work immediately, they are gone. If the window in the door doesn't break, they are gone. If doors can't be kicked in, they take the hint as well. If they get in through a window and discover that the only way out is through the same window, they won't stay very long in the house either.

Then there was the Canadian, who used video surveillance, got a print off it and took it to local high schools until he got an ID from the school office. He then phoned the police and facilitated the arrest. The print got a conviction.

skieur

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics in the US, 40% of burglaries and home invasions in the U.S. were not even forced entries. In other words, they walked, climbed, or crawled in without any need for force or breakage. Shows that it does not take much effort to protect your home.

skieur

our place is fully fenced and gated (mostly for the livestock) but we do have a security system. The blue heeler and the aussie are out all the time. I leave most of my camera gear in the gun safe when were not home. Our homeowners insurance covers it also. Dang your insurance is WAY higher than here! We also have a heavily armed neighbor on one side that works from home and a highway patrolman on the other side ;).

our place is fully fenced and gated (mostly for the livestock) but we do have a security system. The blue heeler and the aussie are out all the time. I leave most of my camera gear in the gun safe when were not home. Our homeowners insurance covers it also. Dang your insurance is WAY higher than here! We also have a heavily armed neighbor on one side that works from home and a highway patrolman on the other side ;).

You seem to have a great location related to your neighbours. I am currently on a corner property with lots of visibility and neighbours who walk a lot and see everything that goes on in the neighbourhood.

The windows in the doors won't break and there are locks on both the inside and the outside. I also have an airedale and plan to get 2 when this one dies.

I am considering video surveillance for my new place. The technology has improved and got cheaper in price. Moreover it pretty well guarantees conviction of the perp, since it is usually someone with a "reputation" and/or known to the police.

skieur

If the window in the door doesn't break, they are gone.
If you have windows on or around your door, make sure you use a deadbolt that requires a key (on the inside). Also, don't leave the key in the deadbolt all the time... (Maybe hang it near the door - out of arms reach from the window. But leaving it in the lock defeats the whole purpose of having it.)

If someone breaks the window, they won't be able to unlock the door.

edit
It would be best to have it on your key chain that you take with you when you leave the house... The only reason I might want it hanging near the door is if you had to get out. If there was a fire or something, it would suck to be trapped in your house because you couldn't find your keys... Yes, you could probably go out of a window, but the time it takes you to realize after trying the door might matter.

I don't have windows near my door where I live now, so I just have a regular deadbolt with a knob on it. One house I lived in did have windows down the sides of the door though - we kept the key on a little hook on the wall opposite the door...

Last edited:
Having a door with a window area is not ideal. I did 2 things. I had totally invisible security film professionally installed on the window which would take a considerable amount of hits to even make a small hole and if you were really a fanatic, you could move up to the bullet-proof film. I also have the deadbolt that is keyed on the inside as well as the outside and the door is metal clad. There is also a metal gizmo without a key that you can put on the bottom inside to prevent kicking in the door.

Realize too that carrying a computer out the front door looks more believably legitimate even for a burglar, than through a window, so making a door exit impossible because of an inside lock limits what can be stolen and how long the perp is likely to spend in the house.

skieur

Most reactions

Back