Home Security

so making a door exit impossible because of an inside lock limits what can be stolen and how long the perp is likely to spend in the house.
Good point. I was only thinking of someone breaking a window and reaching in to unlock the door, but even without windows near the door the keyed deadbolt would be a good idea. If only just to prevent them from exiting through the door, no matter how they entered.

By the way, part of the reason for video is that some insurance companies don't cover you unless break-in can be proven. Others require a police report which may be difficult in that you will certainly know when you discovered something(s) missing, but not necessarily when it happened. Getting in through the lock would leave no sign of break-in, for example.

skieur

I assume everyone knows that the Internet has made 90 percent of door locks easy to unlock without the appropriate key?

skieur

I assume everyone knows that the Internet has made 90 percent of door locks easy to unlock without the appropriate key?

skieur
Details...

Do you mean bump keys? I don't know that the internet can be blamed for that. At first, I'm sure they had a legitimate use (just like most things that are illegal).

This baby also makes most locks obsolete...

01311121 by J E, on Flickr

...Just kidding. :lol: But, in a way, I'm not. If someone wants in bad enough, they're getting in. I know that you know that - I'm not trying to convince you. The best bet is to make it not worth their effort to get in. Make them go to some other, easier target. Sucks to be that guy, but at the same time, I'll be glad if it's not me.

Can we upload PDFs to the forum somehow?

We got one in our e-mail at work a week or so ago that sort of applies to this.

It was about social networking sites, and OPSEC. It had a few good tips in it.

Like, if you're going on vacation, don't put it on Facebook or Twitter... That's like saying, 'Hey, I'm not going to be home for the next couple weeks. You guys already know where I live - why don't you go ahead and steal my stuff while I'm gone.'

Last edited:
Yes, bump keys. They have been around for a long time, but they can be bought on the Internet and there is a lot of video instruction on how to use them. They are available for Schlage, Weiss, Issa and all the main locks. Usually 6 or 7 pin locks are the weakest.

With a cursory look, it seems that the most money saving solution is a substance called pickbuster solution which you squirt into the lock. It makes it more difficult and slower to bump a lock and no perp wants to spend a lot of time at the front door.

The best approach is probably a dual bilock cylinder lock which locks on both inside and outside. They do not have the pins in standard locations and they use a U shape key. Next to that is a programmable keyless entry pad and one that locks automatically when you shut the door.

As you say, if someone wants in, there is always a way for them to do it, but if they can't do it with a minimum of noise and destruction, they are likely to go elsewhere.
That is of course assuming that your house is not way off by itself where no one else is going to hear a break-in.

However the last layer of security should be video, since then the police can often identify the thieves and possibly recover your stuff, if they move fast enough.

skieur

With a cursory look, it seems that the most money saving solution is a substance called pickbuster solution which you squirt into the lock. It makes it more difficult and slower to bump a lock and no perp wants to spend a lot of time at the front door.
I wonder how much that stuff would affect normal everyday key usage...?
From a quick google, it seems like it just thickens everything up inside the lock so the pins can't just bounce freely... I guess if that's all it's doing, it shouldn't really affect a normal key.
However the last layer of security should be video, since then the police can often identify the thieves and possibly recover your stuff, if they move fast enough.
In the weeks leading up to Christmas, there was a rash of packages getting stolen from people's front porches while they weren't home... It was all over the news here.

A few of the homes had video, and they recorded the thief replacing the package with an empty box. If I remember, the videos led to the conviction of a few of these guys - they had pretty clear shots of the guy's face; and in some of them, the car he drove up in.

The best video camera set-up is a wireless, motion activated, records on an SD card, and uses a lithium rechargeable battery for a power source. You may find one in a spy cam store rather than a security or locksmith distributor.

The point is that no one wants an outside camera that can be unplugged or have its connected cables cut and no one wants the recorder for the surveillance camera being stolen during a break-in.

skieur

I read recently that a survey of housebreakers found that the #1 deterrent was a dog. The bigger the better.

No offense but your insurance sounds expensive and crappy. Both my photographic stuff and vintage guitar collection are covered for about $750/year (and the rest of the contents of the house). I recently made photos and wrote down all the serial numbers of my equipment. It helps to have a list of what was taken.

I read recently that a survey of housebreakers found that the #1 deterrent was a dog. The bigger the better.

No offense but your insurance sounds expensive and crappy. Both my photographic stuff and vintage guitar collection are covered for about $750/year (and the rest of the contents of the house). I recently made photos and wrote down all the serial numbers of my equipment. It helps to have a list of what was taken.

Absolutely no offense taken. I am inclined to agree with you.

I have a 55 pound airedale who is old but very active, as a result of a super arthritus medicine. When she eventually dies, I plan to get two, because I love the breed, but certainly their size makes them a great deterrent as well.

skieur

Pretty funny, but I actually found a coat hanger that shoots and records HD video. Great for home security. What will they think of next?

skieur

Most reactions

Back