Homemade Reflectors

pandrew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I honestly used some huge sheets of white foamboard and industrial foil and they work like a charm. I'm not going to post any pictures but would anybody like to tell me why I should upgrade to "real" reflectors?

I honestly used some huge sheets of white foamboard and industrial foil and they work like a charm. I'm not going to post any pictures but would anybody like to tell me why I should upgrade to "real" reflectors?

White-board works great, and is a staple in many studios. The only reason I have a "real" reflector is because it's foldable & far more convenient for travel.

Someone told me if you are going to shoot professional you need professional looking equipment. That sold me right there! Go to Amazon. They have them for 8 dollars... You can still bring your homemade one if you feel it works better but at least this way you appear more professional and then you can make a joke about how you bought this, but you like to use your homemade better.....

ababysean's point is critical.

Given the careers of these two individuals:

A is 40% show and 60% substance.
B is 60% show and 40% substance.

B comes out on top in the long run. This doesn't work if you're a research physicist, but it holds true in most other fields. I spent the last 27 years in higher education (Art/Humanities) and you can change those numbers to 20/80% and B still wins.

If you want paying customers you have to look the part. Otherwise, if you want a great reflector in the studio head straight for the home supply shop and get a sheet of styrofoam.

Joe

If you want your photos to look professional, you have to use professional techniques.

Frequently, DIY tools simply cannot provide professional looking results.

i say if money is tight, use what you can man. props to ya.

Someone told me if you are going to shoot professional you need professional looking equipment. That sold me right there! Go to Amazon. They have them for 8 dollars... You can still bring your homemade one if you feel it works better but at least this way you appear more professional and then you can make a joke about how you bought this, but you like to use your homemade better.....

All pro studios use foam board

I totally just bought this off amazon. lol

If you want your photos to look professional, you have to use professional techniques.

Professional techniques, if you understand lighting, angles of incidence, colour/specular reflectance etc, it matters little how you achieve it, as GS states poly or foam boards are widely used here.

I also know another tog gets great results using twenty dollar halogen lighting from a builders merchants rather than pay out for less powerful but vastly more expensive continuous lights from photographic suppliers.

Some of the garbage on here with regards to lighting really gets my back up, set ups of studio lighting in the park, all the off camera crap its a wonder any of you lot over there ever take a photograph. The old saying "if the cap fits", has its place in photography as well as elsewhere, foamboard is as good as it gets. H

Professional techniques, if you understand lighting, angles of incidence, colour/specular reflectance etc, it matters little how you achieve it, as GS states poly or foam boards are widely used here.

I also know another tog gets great results using twenty dollar halogen lighting from a builders merchants rather than pay out for less powerful but vastly more expensive continuous lights from photographic suppliers.

Some of the garbage on here with regards to lighting really gets my back up, set ups of studio lighting in the park, all the off camera crap its a wonder any of you lot over there ever take a photograph. The old saying "if the cap fits", has its place in photography as well as elsewhere, foamboard is as good as it gets. H

:thumbup: +1 a pro will use what ever is at hand to get the shot, I was shooting an equestian event and got my monopod stolen so i used my partners shoulder to support my big white lens, a shoot i helped on they have used clothes pegs because they had run out of clips to pin back clothing that is a touch too big

I agree with everyone that you have to know pro tech to get pro photos. But Joe and Mary on the street are going to be more impressed with Billy who has nice looking reflector and lighting then Ted who has a sheet of foam board... It sucks but it is just the way it is.
I say use what you know how to use, but have that 8 dollar reflector for show.

I totally just bought this off amazon. lol

Boy, do we ever get ripped off in Canada. The Amazon Canada site has the same set, but it's $25. I wonder if I can get the US site to ship to Canada. :confused:

I have to say, I completely disagree with this...

Often, DIY tools are better. The main thing working against them is that they usually don't look as nice as the 'pro' version (just aesthetics - not talking about how good it may or may not work), and that they will need repaired/replaced sooner.

'Pro' tools are built to last, and to look good. DIY tools are just built to work. Yes, you could build a DIY tool that also looked good and lasted a long time, it's just that most people don't. It's all in how much effort you put into it. One DIY reflector might look great, while another could look like crap...
I mean, if you think about it - it shouldn't be too hard to make a DIY reflector that was indistinguishable from a store bought one. All you need is the material and a sewing machine.

To say that you can't get professional looking results without buying professional tools is a little ridiculous to me.

That's akin to saying that you need a 'professional' camera to get good photos... And I think we all know the general thought on that topic...

Keith, I generally respect your opinion, and consider you a good member of this community - but sometimes, I just don't get you... I mean, how many threads have you replied to saying that the camera doesn't matter - it's the skill of the photographer that really counts...? And then you post this crap saying that to get professional results, you have to have professional tools...

Last edited:
Some home-made or DIY tools can be quite good, without a doubt. Some DIY tools are clearly inferior to factory-made products where proven industrial design and or specific materials or specific engineering capabilities are critical to a first-rate result.

Not too long ago, there was a story about photographer "appearance" and price structures..."looking the part" really carries a lot of weight in certain segments. In other segments, the photography is all done behind the scenes.

"Professional" photos are often quite uniform, cookie-cutter, and, well, un-original, and not avant garde. A lot of professional photos are done with factory-made, mass-produced equipment that is pretty much "standardized" for the era the work is done in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back