Hoping the new 5D Mark IV encourages some good upgrades for the D800/810 replacement

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is possibly just a personal wish, but I'm hoping the newly released Canon 5D Mark IV, which looks like a really nice camera and has some really nice features, will push Nikon to adopt some of the same, or better, to match when they update or replace the D800/810. In particular, an increase in native ISO beyond 6400 (which is a no brainer and I'm sure will come) and an increase in fps with a slightly better buffer and processing engine. I don't need the endless buffer of the D5/500, but a good 40 images at 8fps would do it. I don't often need more than 4 fps, but there are a handful of situations when the fps of my D800 just doesn't cut it.

I'm not looking to dump my D800, much the opposite. In the next 1-2 years I hope to add a body so my D800 can become my second body. I'm just really hoping Nikon brings these upgrades first over gimmicky stuff like WiFi (well, gimmicky to me). Ironically, it seems like the feature set for this particular market, as now being seen in the 5D IV, is coming full circle to what we were all hoping for with a true D700 replacement...

Anyway, just my personal hopes for my next body. I won't be switching to Canon any time soon as I have too much invested in my glass, etc, but it will be disappointing if Nikon doesn't answer back to the 5D IV in a big way!

MY guess is the D850 or whatever number they randomly go with, will bridge the gap between the D5 and D500.

MY guess is the D850 or whatever number they randomly go with, will bridge the gap between the D5 and D500.
Entirely possible, but Nikon didn't seem to leave much of a gap there to fill so I'm not exactly sure what that would look like!

Generally speaking model to model updates in camera bodies are often quite modest - or at least not night and day "get on release" changes. It doesn't mean the upgrades are not good, just that often there's more of a jump in features and technology if you skip a generation to the "next" update.

Isn't the D810 already a pretty well rounded camera?

Sure Nikon could add Wifi, NFC, Bluetooth, 6G LTE, 12,800,000 ISO, 200MP Sensor, EXPEED 8 Octa Core Image Processor, USB 4.1, 2TB internal flash memory, 16K uncompressed video, artificial intelligence auto mode and most important, a touch screen with 4k resolution.

But that probably won't happen.

Last edited:
This is possibly just a personal wish, but I'm hoping the newly released Canon 5D Mark IV, which looks like a really nice camera and has some really nice features, will push Nikon to adopt some of the same, or better, to match when they update or replace the D800/810. In particular, an increase in native ISO beyond 6400 (which is a no brainer and I'm sure will come) and an increase in fps with a slightly better buffer and processing engine. I don't need the endless buffer of the D5/500, but a good 40 images at 8fps would do it. I don't often need more than 4 fps, but there are a handful of situations when the fps of my D800 just doesn't cut it.

I'm not looking to dump my D800, much the opposite. In the next 1-2 years I hope to add a body so my D800 can become my second body. I'm just really hoping Nikon brings these upgrades first over gimmicky stuff like WiFi (well, gimmicky to me). Ironically, it seems like the feature set for this particular market, as now being seen in the 5D IV, is coming full circle to what we were all hoping for with a true D700 replacement...

Anyway, just my personal hopes for my next body. I won't be switching to Canon any time soon as I have too much invested in my glass, etc, but it will be disappointing if Nikon doesn't answer back to the 5D IV in a big way!
Just buy a D500 now, then you will have the best bargain action camera around and use your D800 when you don't need the speed...

5D III and D800/D810 were very different cameras, the 5D III was more of a general use/event camera while the D800/D810 more of a studio/landscape camera.
I think the D750 is more directed at the spec of the 5D III then the D800/D810
The new 5D IV seems to be (as expected) a very good camera but I think it really short changed Canon users in the video department, in the beginning I thought it will be the perfect photo/video camera but after clser examination it looks like it isn't the case.
I think the 5D IV is now more of a still camera then a video, Canon really doesn't want it competing with its video dedicated cameras.
The D810 replacement will be a very high MP camera and will continue its current trend of studio/landscape rather then general use like the D750.
I think the true answer to it will come when Nikon will introduce the D750 replacement.
Canon only real advantage is its special AF in video, other then that its just a close competitor to Nikon.
For stills I don't expect any big surprises from Nikon.
And last thing, if Nikon will keep the D810 and D750 AF system with the 51 AF then I will be extremely disappointed!!!
I am hoping/expecting to see the 153 AF system on then both (from the D5 and D500).

Generally speaking model to model updates in camera bodies are often quite modest - or at least not night and day "get on release" changes. It doesn't mean the upgrades are not good, just that often there's more of a jump in features and technology if you skip a generation to the "next" update.
This is precisely why I didn't want to purchase the D810 as it was just a "refresh" of the camera I already have. I'm hoping that the next evolution of it will be more than a refresh and will incorporate more changes to align the features better with some of it's rivals.

Isn't the D810 already a pretty well rounded camera?

Sure Nikon could add Wifi, NFC, Bluetooth, 6G LTE, 12,800,000 ISO, 200MP Sensor, EXPEED 8 Octa Core Image Processor, USB 4.1, 2TB internal flash memory, 16K uncompressed video, artificial intelligence auto mode and most important, a touch screen with 4k resolution.

But that probably won't happen.

It most definitely is a pretty well rounded camera. Unfortunately it falls short in several ways, for me, and I'm hoping that changes. I certainly will not have the money to go with a D4 or D5, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed they add just a few of those upgraded features to the next model.

Just buy a D500 now, then you will have the best bargain action camera around and use your D800 when you don't need the speed...

I have thought about that, and depending on what Nikon's next release is with the D8xx line, this could very well be my next move. The only thing that would be tough is going back to a crop sensor. I've grown so accustomed to FF that I might get frustrated with the crop factor. But maybe not, who knows..

5D III and D800/D810 were very different cameras, the 5D III was more of a general use/event camera while the D800/D810 more of a studio/landscape camera.
I think the D750 is more directed at the spec of the 5D III then the D800/D810
The new 5D IV seems to be (as expected) a very good camera but I think it really short changed Canon users in the video department, in the beginning I thought it will be the perfect photo/video camera but after clser examination it looks like it isn't the case.
I think the 5D IV is now more of a still camera then a video, Canon really doesn't want it competing with its video dedicated cameras.
The D810 replacement will be a very high MP camera and will continue its current trend of studio/landscape rather then general use like the D750.
I think the true answer to it will come when Nikon will introduce the D750 replacement.
Canon only real advantage is its special AF in video, other then that its just a close competitor to Nikon.
For stills I don't expect any big surprises from Nikon.
And last thing, if Nikon will keep the D810 and D750 AF system with the 51 AF then I will be extremely disappointed!!!
I am hoping/expecting to see the 153 AF system on then both (from the D5 and D500).

I certainly can't speak to video capabilities as I don't think I have shot a single video on any DSLR I've had. I actually hope they don't increase the MP. For me, even the 36MP of the D800 makes managing my workflow hard enough. It takes up huge amounts of disk space, makes the files slower to process and I normally don't need to crop to 100% very often. I've taken photos for print on bill boards and the 36MP handled it just fine. I can't imagine why I would need more!

I do think they will put their better AF system in. I think it's the new standard just like the 51 point AF system was for the prosumer/pro level bodies. But I agree, it would be a huge disappointment if they didn't..

Say what ?

The current D810 already eats the Canon 5D Mark IV for breakfast spec-sheet-wise ? As good or better almost everywhere, especially where it matters.

The D810 already has a native range of ISO 64 ... 12800; the D820 will probably get native 64..25600 or better. The D810 has a Sony sensor and the D820 will very likely have backlit technology as well, if not also copper connections. I expect the D820 sensor to clearly beat the Sony A7r2 sensor, also in respect to sheer Megapixels (not by much though).

The D810 already has 5fps; 6fps with DX or 1.2 crop mode, 7fps with either DX or 1.2 crop and the battery grip. Also I dont think the D8x0 line should be seen as a high-fps camera; its prime focus is image quality and resolution and thats where it should remain.

The Canon 5D Mark IV has 4K Video, but its crippled so much its unuseable (huge file size, huge crop factor). Nikon will have to try very hard to cripple the D820 this much with 4K, though my optimism of the D820 having actually useable 4K is quite slim. Still I hope they will have a 4:1 mapping; 4:1 of UHD (3840x2160) would mean the camera would use a 7680x4320 area of the sensor for 4K video recording. This will already be a lot better than what Canon offers.

The D810 already has NO Anti-Aliasing Filter. The 5Ds R only offers a canceled filter, like the D800E. The 5D4 ? Still AA-Filtered.

I also hope the D820 will have touch- and flipscreen. Another feature the 5D4 lacks. And XQD. Again the 5D4 doesnt offers neither XQD nor CFast.

The 5D4 is a really poor camera spec-sheet-wise, at least for its price point and release time.

yeah, Rolling Shutters ...

Most reactions

Back