Hoping this is the right category... anways! C&C

I havent started selling my photos yet. I came here to see how much to charge, was told i sucked more than i thought i did. So i am trying to figure out how to fix that!

Well first and foremost don't take any negative comments personally. The thing about the feedback you'll get from a lot of other places like facebook, well those comments will come from people who aren't necessarily photographers or photography buffs. So you show these to friends and family and you'll get rave reviews. But photographers, graphic artists, serious hobbyists tend to look at things with a far more critical eye. It isn't meant to be harsh or nasty, they are honestly trying to help you improve.

The best advice I can give you is to start with the basics - I think your best bet is to read everything you can on composition, exposure, DOF (depth of field), and how to gain control of your camera.

OOh no i love critiquing as long as you tell me how to fix the issue instead of just saying you suck.

I'd suggest reading up on the rule of thirds, take the ladybug shot as an example. The bug is right there center frame, it does nothing to attract the viewers attention. Someone will look at that for 3 seconds and move on. For a shot this simple, that has been done to death, there has to be something special there to grab and hold the viewer. That shot just doesn't have it. But with a few tweaks it could have it. Others more talented than I could probably explain this better.

And as already mentioned you should also work on depth of field, learn the affect your aperture will have on your photo. Do you want the entire frame in focus or just the subject. Pick a subject and start at your largest aperture, depending on your lens that could be f/1.8. Notice how shallow the depth of field is, then keep closing down the aperture until you get down to f/14. Look at the affect it has on the photo, you will learn a lot just by practicing with the settings, the subject is irrelevant until you know how to use the camera.

But most of all have some fun with it, good or bad is irrelevant for a hobbiest. Enjoying it is important.

Hope that helps

OOh no i love critiquing as long as you tell me how to fix the issue instead of just saying you suck.

It's not about how to "fix the issue", it's about learning a language. Visual language.
People can help you with focusing, and exposure, but there is a huge thing that comes from within.
Point of view.
All the images of flowers on your blog, look like all the images of flowers from millions of people who picked up a camera before you.
Your current point of view brings nothing new to the table. You're not showing anybody, anything they haven't seen before.
There is no easy fix for that. It will take years or studying art and photography, learning the language of visual organization, and then pushing the boundaries of what you learned.

Good luck.

Yeah i see your point on the watermark.
I understand that you have to learn the langauage, but you can't learn the language without just taking these tips using them, and then just seeing well if i change my aperture, the image will do this, or if i take the image from this distance away, and i put the focus on the corner of the subject it looks better this way and etc, etc, etc.

I did that because i have had to screw with people stealing my work and selling it. hoped putting the watermark in the mainpart of the picture would make people not be able to sell it without putting more work than its worth into removing it.

REALLY? Well they may have stolen it... but I doubt anyone was paying $15 for that....

CRITIQUE AS PER REQUEST:

1. Lighting is flat. It's boring. It lacks contrast, any interesting colors, the background is bland, and it's out of focus.

2. Lighting is flat. It's boring. It lacks contrast, looks slightly underexposed, the background is distracting, the cropping is weird (why are you cutting off the tip of the leaf on the bottom?), and there is very obvious dust and hair hanging off the middle stem thingy....

3. Centered framing is boring, and this is the type of bug shot you see all over the place. I'm not even really sure what it is I'm looking at, or why, as a viewer, I should be interested.

It's not about how to "fix the issue", it's about learning a language. Visual language.
People can help you with focusing, and exposure, but there is a huge thing that comes from within.
Point of view.
All the images of flowers on your blog, look like all the images of flowers from millions of people who picked up a camera before you.
Your current point of view brings nothing new to the table. You're not showing anybody, anything they haven't seen before.
There is no easy fix for that. It will take years or studying art and photography, learning the language of visual organization, and then pushing the boundaries of what you learned.

Good luck.

^^^^^ This. This so hard.

I understand that you have to learn the langauage, but you can't learn the language without just taking these tips using them, and then just seeing well if i change my aperture, the image will do this, or if i take the image from this distance away, and i put the focus on the corner of the subject it looks better this way and etc, etc, etc.
Practice
and read alot about composition and about everything else. Then read it again a few months later as you'll read more into it.
And post photos here for C&C

I actually like recreating ideas that I've seen before. I learn how to compose that photo, and when one has a target to accomplish something it's a good learning experience.

All good learning .. here's a few funny examples:

Last edited by a moderator:
and

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything you listed are things you should be thinking about and trying and seeing for yourself what the effects are.
Everything you listed relates to visual language, which you need to learn how and why.
Sure asking for critique is helpful, but it's most helpful when you know at least some of the principles of design/visual organization, so that you have intent with your practice, and can ask more precise questions regarding your intent and it's effectiveness, so that people can help you reach the intended goal.

There are many books on the subject, and is a fairly broad subject, such that, people here trying to help you aren't going to write book length responses.
So....go to the library and start your journey of self teaching.

I really like #2, just tone down the signature please :D

do you look at pics on line ?
Do you really not see the difference between what you posted and other images you see

Honestly I think you are joking with us, the alternative is not good

they were selling prints for 15bucks. Dont know how many actually bought them. prolly not many. i simply emailed the guy said those images belong to me. I can you where,when,how they were taken. So either take them down or i am taking legal action.

that is not believable, sorry
why would someone steal your pics

you joined here in the last 10 days and you have 12 posts.,,,, I think you are a troll, do you know what a troll is ?

they were selling prints for 15bucks. Dont know how many actually bought them. prolly not many. i simply emailed the guy said those images belong to me. I can you where,when,how they were taken. So either take them down or i am taking legal action.

that is not believable, sorry
why would someone steal your pics

you joined here in the last 10 days and you have 12 posts.,,,, I think you are a troll, do you know what a troll is ?

I was starting to think the same thing and feel ashamed I bought into this tomfoolery

You do realize i post on more than just blogger, and here... And it wasn't any of those pictures i showed you guys either. It was a edit i did:
AgPaF27.jpg

I dont remember what this effect is called, you used to layer film to do it. i think its called photoburning...... dont remember.
ANYWAYS dont believe me whatever. I really dont care too much.

Most reactions

Back