• Total voters

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering if you have a preference how to frame your photos. Ya, i know it depends on the situation, but I just noticed that an exceedingly large proportion of my pics where taken horizontally. I wonder what Freud what say :scratch:

cameras are made to be more comfortable to shoot horizontal. it's a strain on the hands to hold it sideways.
we've always walked in flat-ish planes, the sky up and the earth down. it makes sense that cameras are made to fit comfortably into that accustomation.
it would be cool if they would make (digital) cameras so you could change the proportion, wider and shorter, or taller even.

I frame most of my shots both ways, to see what looks better. Vertical gives a scene a completely different perspective, and a lot of times can pull an interesting shot from a less than exciting scene.

cameras are made to be more comfortable to shoot horizontal. it's a strain on the hands to hold it sideways.
we've always walked in flat-ish planes, the sky up and the earth down. it makes sense that cameras are made to fit comfortably into that accustomation.
it would be cool if they would make (digital) cameras so you could change the proportion, wider and shorter, or taller even.

While, i don't think digi cams can quite do all that yet, i have noticed several models that seem to be designed to be held comfortably both vertically and horizontally, even to the point of having two shutter release buttons.

I tend to be more horizontal because I like to include more of the surroundings. Also, the sky isn't very interesting, in my humble opinion. That is, unless you want to establish the height of a building by including fog at the top surrounding the top or somethig of that nature

I like horizontal..because its more comfortable and for the most part I dont need vertical. If I'm shooting something tall or something that needs to be vertical I do but other then that...

I attended a few workshops years ago, put on by professional stock photographers and they would pound the vertical idea into your head. Horizontal images make OK inset pictures for magazines but there are almost no horizontal magazine covers and that's where the money is. Vertical just pays more. Here's my back-up Nikon body. I had this and a few other reminders on the back of the rest of the cameras I used to use.

vert%20camera.jpg

I just shoot for fun nowadays and my preference is about a 50/50 vertical/horizontal but I keep that on there to remind myself to try something different with everything I look at.

Like other here, I tend to shoot more people so I get a lot of vertical shots. We have a vertical grip for our 10D and it's great. Makes it so much easier to hold the camera that way.

Most reactions

Back