Horse Race Track

dslrchat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forums.dslrchat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I may have a chance to get to a race track this weekend.
Though I have a really crappy tripod and will have a hard time panning, what should my starting shutter speed be?

Though I have a really crappy tripod and will have a hard time panning, what should my starting shutter speed be?

1/250th and up for static shots. 1/100th, 1/60th, or even 1/30th for panning.

^^ agree with Alfred.

Unless you have a decent panning head on your tripod, I would try hand holding.

I know you didn't ask, but also bring plenty of extra memory and an extra battery. Micorfiber cloth to wipe your lenses (assuming dusty conditions) and a blower if you have one. CPL filter.

I do have a cpl,
I also have very shaky hands lol, 1/250 still fast enough?

As Alfred mention... 1/250 and up. Depends on how much you want it to freeze the action.

Also keep in mind that a larger aperture (smaller number) will help to isolate the subject from the background.

Off Topic:
Hey, didn't you have questions on a fireworks display in your area recently? How did they turn out?

Lens focal length?
I have an 18-55 (came with XTI) and a sigma 70 -300

I am thinking the 70-300 would be best?

I am looking to get something like a "photo finish" shot, where the horses are frozen and a few where the horse is frozen and background blurry.
(if any of that makes sense?)

Perhaps your tripod can double as a monopod... extend just one leg. A whole lot better than completely handholding the camera.

You can also get a feel for the steadiness of your stance.

Take your telephoto and practice shooting outside at a distant object with your telephoto at 300mm. Using shutter priority, start at 1/250 of a second (close to inverse of the focal length) and take a photo. Now take a few more for practice at 1/500, 1/125, 1/60th. Examine your photos to see at what shutter speed is the photo acceptably sharp. Try it again with your tripod as a monopod (one leg extended). Every person is different.... My cousin can handhold a couple stops slower than I. I'm about 1/focal length + a little more. If I'm really careful, I can probably do 1 stop slower. It takes practice...

* breath through your shots
* Feet spread apart at shoulder lengths
* Don't run around trying to get into position (if possible). keep heart rate and breathing calm.

one more thing... the previous post will see how steady you can hold the camera. However, it doesn't address motion blur. For that, you just need to have a fast enough shutter to freeze the motion. It helps if you can pan with the moving horse as well. Practice on cars in traffic. The closer you are to the action, you'll need to work a faster shutter speed. Don't be afraid to bump up the ISO in your camera. Open up the aperture in your lens but be aware of your shrinking DOF as well.

I have an 18-55 (came with XTI) and a sigma 70 -300

I am thinking the 70-300 would be best?

I am looking to get something like a "photo finish" shot, where the horses are frozen and a few where the horse is frozen and background blurry.
(if any of that makes sense?)

First shot is high shutter speed. Second shot is "panning" - slow shutter speed and move the camera to follow the horsie.

I doubt that you'll be close enough for the 18-55 but, in either case, make your decision ahead of time and stick with it. The last thing you want to do is change lenses in the dusty atmosphere. I guarantee that your sensor filter will get dirty.

Thank you very much every1!
Sounds like I will be playing in traffic tomorrow morning for practice :)
great tips!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back