Horse, What do you think?

GerritSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you think? give any C&C.
Picture055.jpg

I think it could have been quite a nice shot but the post is no fun in it. Can you spot heal/clone it out. I think you will be much happier overall with the picture then.

Would have been better to get the horses attention .. munching on grass does not do much.

I have always tried to get something more than just grazing. You have to get to know their habits and anticipate when there will be a shot.

I think it could have been quite a nice shot but the post is no fun in it. Can you spot heal/clone it out. I think you will be much happier overall with the picture then.
I am not very good at editing so I dont think I can do that. Maybe someone on TPF can?

Yea. I took that from a car. The owner was right near us in her truck and she did not look too happy. But I will try again if I got there again!

You should have approached the owner and talked about how the horse looks great for a photo.
Horse people are very passionate about their animals.

Oh ok. If I go again I will see and try.

Too much picture and not enough horse.

Try and crop this photo a bit tighter to the horse. Right now the subject of the photo gets lost in the scenery. Too bad for the fence post, it limits your choices.

Photography is an art form as well as a technical endeavor. The technical side is easy to perfect. The art side not so easy. A good photo begins in the mind's eye. Imagine the image in your mind and then try and recreate it in the viewfinder. That will not come easy. Hacks, like me, will struggle with this a long time before even coming close. Artists will get it almost immediately. However all is not lost. Skill in producing nice images can be honed. Start by familiarizing yourself with the basic composition concepts. Practice these until they are second nature. Find images that you like in terms of composition and style and then practice recreating/copying them. Through this process you will begin to develop an eye and a style all your own.

Photography as a hobby can be a lot of fun and personally rewarding. As a job, that's different. As in most hobbies we truly enjoy, turning it into a job where we absolutely have to produce no matter what takes the pure joy out of it pretty quickly.

The two biggest things that stand out to me are the color and composition. The colors are over saturated. I don't know if you did that with a program or it's just a filter you are using with your lens but you need to tone it down some. The composition is just boring, it's a dead on picture with the subject in the center of the frame. in fact looking at your website all of your pictures have really poor compositions, this is a pretty neat guide that's worth reading through.

Basic Photography Techniques - Photographic Composition, Center of interest, Subject placement, Simplicity, Viewpoint and camera angle, Balance.

Also It looks like you need to pick up a macro lens. Macro photography is really neat but whatever lens you are using isn't cutting it.

here are some random awesome macro photos I've found on flickr that I think really highlight how important a good lens is for that type of work. of course you could also get a reversal ring to reverse mount your lens and get in closer, extension tubes are another way to go. both of those options are very inexpensive if you find yourself balking at the cost of a good macro lens.

Grasshopper (Headshot 3) by Silenus81, on Flickr

Rose

The two biggest things that stand out to me are the color and composition. The colors are over saturated. I don't know if you did that with a program or it's just a filter you are using with your lens but you need to tone it down some. The composition is just boring, it's a dead on picture with the subject in the center of the frame. in fact looking at your website all of your pictures have really poor compositions, this is a pretty neat guide that's worth reading through.

Basic Photography Techniques - Photographic Composition, Center of interest, Subject placement, Simplicity, Viewpoint and camera angle, Balance.

Also It looks like you need to pick up a macro lens. Macro photography is really neat but whatever lens you are using isn't cutting it.

here are some random awesome macro photos I've found on flickr that I think really highlight how important a good lens is for that type of work. of course you could also get a reversal ring to reverse mount your lens and get in closer, extension tubes are another way to go. both of those options are very inexpensive if you find yourself balking at the cost of a good macro lens.

Rose

Don't really know what you're talking about. This must've been placed in the wrong post. lol

Rose

Every single one of those pictures on my website were taken with a Samsung SL50 point and shoot. I just got me a Canon 20D DSLR a couple days ago from my brother.

Rose

Every single one of those pictures on my website were taken with a Samsung SL50 point and shoot. I just got me a Canon 20D DSLR a couple days ago from my brother.

Not bad for a point and soot.
There are a few things you'll need to your DSLR tho.
- Take all your photos as RAW, that way the picture collects ahellofalot more informations and keeps the details when editing it in ADOBE LIGHTROOM.
- You should get yourself Adobe Lightroom, it's expensive for the less smart ones or the serious ones. But some would know how to save a lot of money.
- You should also get yourself an external flash and a large aperture prime lens. Idk too much about Canons.

Back to the original horse photo, if I were re-doing it, I would try get close to the post and barbed wire and use that as a foreground element. If you just have the horse in a field, it's kind of bland. (Maybe if the horse were up on it's hind legs exhaling steamy breath or something, but not just munching on the grass.)

Horse pic appears distorted from the lens?

Most reactions

Back