Ahh, don't it make you feel safe to fly the friendly skies?
Here's my question. When I came home from St. Louis after thanksgiving, I dutifuly removed ye olde laptop from my bag and put it into a tub (I don't understand how x-rays are blocked by my fabric knapsack and the laptop needs to be removed in the first place). I then put my jacket (also made of non-lead fabric) on top if it, and my boots on top of that (this way I only needed 1 bin instead of 3; I was trying to be helpful to my fellow passengers, you understand. Anyway, they had to rescan the laptop because the jacket was over it. Does down really block x-rays from seeing through to my laptop?
On the clarinet note (sorry, no pun intended), when I was coming home from Miami many years ago, they made me turn on my video camera, record, and play it back to prove that it really worked--and this was BEFORE Sept. 11.