voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife and I are hosting our first thanksgiving for the family next week and I have been doing some research on the different cooking methods. I have settled with Alton Brown's method for preparing the bird. In addition to brine, I plan on putting butter underneath the skin.

If you're not cooking your own turkey, how is it done for you?

You can't ever go wrong with Alton Brown :mrgreen:

We are frying it. Aubrey convinced my Mother to try it last year and much to her surprise she loved it.

My plan for Thanksgiving is to continue baking our "turkey" by taking naps on the couch :D

Oh and :hail: ing the leftover turkey sandwiches in this thread is acceptable. White sandwhich bread, mustard and turkey... :drool:

Oh and :hail: ing the leftover turkey sandwiches in this thread is acceptable. White sandwhich bread, mustard and turkey... :drool:

That sounds so GOOD!!! I'll be right over! Yummmy!

Oh, , BTW. I voted for "Other". Our youngest daughter is having us all over for thanksgiving. She is in her new home and wants to impress. She already has.

jstuedle said:
Oh, , BTW. I voted for "Other". Our youngest daughter is having us all over for thanksgiving. She is in her new home and wants to impress. She already has.
Yeah, but how is she preparing it?

core_17 said:
What is roasting with a brine?

I'll just be doing the regular roasting IF the oven is fixed by then.

Brine is what you soak the turkey in before roasting. The link I posted has the process I will be using.

Brining is the way to go. :thumbup:

I like my Turkey sandwiches quite pedestrian. Fresh french country bread, turkey, miracle whip(one of two things I use it on), and a little salt. I feel like I'm 10 yrs old again.

I roast, after preheating the oven to a very high heat (450') to sear the outside. Once I put the turkey in the oven at this high heat, I immediately reduce the heat to 350'. You get this delectable brown crust and the juices are effectively sealed. I baste periodically.

mmm....turkey sandwiches with mustard..... :drool:
And I can't wait to get to the soupmaking part.....:drool:

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. All you have to do is cook and eat and hang out. :thumbup:

:drool: I may have to ban myself from this thread or I'll be demanding a Turkey dinner tomorrow night :shock:

Has anyone here ever heard of a "Turducken"?
What it is, is a Chicken in a duck in a Turkey... :drool:

here's a link I found... http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/turducken.html

I forgot where I saw the original recipe... but I'm sure that the link there is pretty close... or the same thing.... whatever... you get the idea. :D

We haven't made it yet... but I think that this year we are going to try it out. :D (hopefully) :D

We usually just have roasted chicken :lol: turkeys are too huge for the 2 of us. I roasted a turkey a few years ago for a huge thanksgiving dinner with the in-law family, there was about 30 people, but there was so much other food, we only ate half. I think we had 5 apples and a few sticks of butter shoved up its butt, cooked with the turkey breasts on the bottom, all the butter soaked down into the breasts.... :drool:.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back