How can I give back ??

Not if you are taking business away from another business, ie a photography business. Whatever you do, make sure you are not taking business from a photog unless you don't mind killing one to help the other.

Some of the ideas that have been offered could do just that. Just take time to think of what exactly you are doing. The OP's address being USA we don't know much about his place and it is hard to give specific ideas but here's a good rule of thumb: if there isn't going to be another photographer there, it's good. Just don't volunteer so early that the pro will be left in the cold due to a volunteer...

I totally agree with this poster. You don't want to harm any of the local businesses including other photographers. I'd be careful.

I recently went to a Penguin Plunge where participants jumped into the Hudson River in February. It was a fundraiser to help a local family who's child has cancer. The organization is a not for profit and didn't have the funds to hire a photographer. I turned over the photos on a disc and they used them on their website. It was a great experience. You can see some of the photos in a slideshow here.

Contact local charities and see if they would like a photographer to document their event. It's a great way to get involved.

I also give way sports photos - usually just to teammates of my kids. But there is no sports photographer working in our area at this time.

The Animal Shelter is an idea I have thought about a lot. Ours has been hurting the past couple of years and almost ran a risk of getting shut down due to city funding not being there. I would love to be able to donate my time and even the money for printing to take great pictures of the dogs and some cats to help them get donated. Right now with a full time job, school full time, a wife kid, and another on the way, I just don't have the time to do so. Once I am done with school next year, I plan to try and approach them with the idea.

I also like the idea for the "free" photographs for father's day or mother's day, or easter, etc... and then leave a donation box with proceeds going to a good cause. We have a caring center in our town that could sure use the money. I may try this down the road too. I enjoy doing portraits and am fairly good (not to float my boat) but don't like the pressure of doing paid jobs very much...so I don't shoot many portrait sessions. This would be great since they can just not donate if they aren't happy with the picture.

To those who do the portraits for donations, do you print on site? If so, what is your printing setup and what's the average cost per 8x10 to you?

to maybe do some senior pix of kids ..

I am confused by this.
If you had bought a 52" HDTV would you invite the entire hood to watch the superbowl?
Or a new car, would you drive seniors around town instead of young blondes?
Dont waste time giving back anything to anyone.

Such gtreat suggestions. And Yes, I am aware to not step on any toes and I will always try to get ahold of local area photographers to make sure they would not be doing any of the work. I am not by any means going to go into business. This is a serious hobby and really. guess I am being selfish- but I love taking pictures so much, that I am wanting to volunteer while doing what I love the most. And not being in a brick and mortar store, these would most likely be outside projects.
So thank you again for your ideas, and if you have any more, I would be most appreciative...........

My local animal shelter has monthly adoption events. I set up my equipment outside and take a portrait of every person that walks out with a new adopted animal. I show them a proof of it there and if they make a donation of $10 or more to the shelter, I edit and email them the final copy for their printing pleasure. Last month's Adopt a Sweetheart valentine's day event netted the shelter almost $500 in donations just from my little project since some people actually donate more than $10. Also, if they donate $50+, I personally go to their home or prefered place and take shots there.

Here are 2 examples of what a person would get with a $50+ donation. This particular person received 8 shots. I
add 2 more per every $10 above 50 they donate.
4393405709_ea98db7ed4.jpg

4394178254_9b751b6689.jpg

Last edited:
Such gtreat suggestions. And Yes, I am aware to not step on any toes and I will always try to get ahold of local area photographers to make sure they would not be doing any of the work. I am not by any means going to go into business. This is a serious hobby and really. guess I am being selfish- but I love taking pictures so much, that I am wanting to volunteer while doing what I love the most. And not being in a brick and mortar store, these would most likely be outside projects.
So thank you again for your ideas, and if you have any more, I would be most appreciative...........

If everyone could be selfish in this manner, we would live in a better world.

Again, not knowing anything about your location, it is hard to get into specifics but I find that giving back is usually only limited by one's imagination.

Felix's idea is great but I'm sure you can find many others by just looking around. Portraits are always appreciated and so they always will make a great fundraiser for just about anything.

I was involved in micro loans for micro businesses and the last thing I did before leaving the US was to help a woman start up a photobooth business. An idea I got from a thread on this forum. I got her started by volunteering at a fundraiser for a local musician with enormous bills due to his cancer.

We did a set that looked like a stage and people could choose to be either a singer or guitar player for their shot. We also had a couple of long haired wigs, some bandanas and a make up artist (also a volunteer) on hand to give the clients a few more possibilities. everybody wants to be a rock star :D so it was very popular and raised a nice chunk of cash considering the size of the city.

But it also helped this woman's business because, of course, she used the opportunity to advertise what she does and she booked 5 jobs that night. Maybe I should say that I see nothing wrong with helping yourself while helping others.

Just look around you and you will probably come up with more ideas then you can deal with.

If it is truelly to give back to the community, get in touch with your local "Historical Society". They are always glad to get photos of community social events, such as parades, annual events or special events involving community expansion/growth.

I would stay away from business projects. As stated earlier that will usually be taking away from professional photogs. Business owners should be responsible for paying for exposure and/or marketing.

I do volunteer photography for the local Meels on Wheels. I figure they can use the pictures to help rais awareness and recruit volunteers.

There are many charity, non profit and other organizations that need good pictures for their advertisements, slideshows, handouts, etc. Just call them up and ask.

There was a project down here in Miami a while ago, where photographers can go to hospitals for cancer patients (children), battered women shelters, and take photographs of them to make them feel happier, better about themselves, and see their beauty through photography. There was another one also, where homeless people were given disposable cameras with film and were given a week to take photos of anything they want, and in a week they would be recollected and developed and given their photos. They're both really cool. [:
Teach children to appreciate photography, youth detention centers, recreation centers, there are so many options.

Most reactions

Back