How can i improve my photos?

immafreebeetch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
1. ihna, i know legs are cropped inappropriately and I was feeling sorry for that. Honestly I don't know how I got into this photo as the photo originally was very under-exposed and lights were uneven.

ihna by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

2. jenica, this one I just slightly boost the exposure up nothing else.

old jenica by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

3. dave, this was just a very unexpected shoot with my partner, I don't know what's going on my mind at that moment :p

boo fix by
immafreebeetch, on Flickr

4. this photo is same with #3 i just put some effects on it.

original disperse by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

5. ri, I call him ri as he looks like rihanna LOL

rihanna willowsmith version2 by immafreebeetch, on Flickr

The BEST way to improve your photography is to build on a solid foundation consisting of a thorough understanding of the basic principles. Learn how cameras work and how they see the world here, and learn all about off-camera lighting here. Once you get these basics down pat, THEN worry about being artsy. In short, learn how to build a plain wall before you try and build a palace!

What John said and also, understand that you can't make a Ferrari out of a Kia no matter how much post processing you do to it.

Well CRAP, there goes my weekend project. :lol:

FOR SALE
1 slightly used 2007 Kia
Runs good, looks good.
Will Never be a Ferrari.
Make Offer.

Call BR 549

What John said and also, understand that you can't make a Ferrari out of a Kia no matter how much post processing you do to it.

Yep, effects processing a bad photo to try and fix it only makes it pathetic which is worse than bad.

Joe

To answer your post title question:

Never take a camera and model near railroad tracks again.

In your first photo the halo around the model is way too obvious. If you're going to darken a background make sure you can mask it properly.

The 2nd photo is pretty good.

Joe

Debatable...

(+ hundreds more youtube examples of taking nothing and turning it into SERIOUS WOWWWWW!!! with post processing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Debatable...

(+ hundreds more youtube examples of taking nothing and turning it into SERIOUS WOWWWWW!!! with post processing)

You mean "Graphic ART", right? Cause it is sure as hell not photography anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 shows a lack of compositional awareness or ability or sensibility...you're making excuses for it, but excuses cannot help the odd crop. Why is the shot a horizontal? Why is the tall tree camera left allowed to compete with HER? Shot 2 of Jenica, is hurt by the toy dog right at the edge of the frame in the background, and the black thing upper right hand corner is distracting; this shot looks like a grab shot of a model putting on lipstick. It needs to go. #3 is simply wayyyyy out of focus, and dressing up an OOF shot with effects is worse than showing an out of focus shot. Last shot, of Ri, combining Dutch tilt AND railroad tracks in one shot? Oh,no, you didtn't!!! Oh yes, you did!

You ask how you might improve your photography...well, it's more than just the processing of images. Composition of images is a huge part of photography. In this kind of work, the images are often "built", one carefully selected component at a time,from concept sketches, or well-planned ideas. It seems that more time spent on styling and paying attention to basics, like tall versus horizontal, and focusing, and how to best frame a person, would be helpful. More time planning, basically, more time spent on the BEST way to execute an actual concept. Conceive the concept, elaborate on it, bring the components together, then execute it WELL. In-focus. As best as possible.

Edgy is nice. Breaking rules is nice, as long as it is done in a way that "works". I might say subscribe to W, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and something else, and start emulating shots you see and simply LOVE, and get an idea for the kind of discipline needed to do this kind of photography, which is a very demanding kind of photography.

You mean "Graphic ART", right?
I mean that post processing can definitely take a blah photo to new heights of awesome, in the right hands.

Cause it is sure as hell not photography anymore...
You're welcome to your narrow-minded views. I don't happen to share them.

To me, photography is the use of a camera in the process to get to an end result - nothing more, nothing less. If that includes manipulation of the negative or the file or the photo or the print, if it includes compositing, blurring, dodging, burning, color shifting, and so on and so forth and more, I'm fine with it. Whether it's done a little in a chemical darkroom or photoshop, whether it was a little or a lot, I don't try to find a line in the sand and declare what is and is not photography as though I'm the authority, and I don't care to take anyone else's self-appointed authority as gospel either.

Again, you're welcome to it, but I think it's pretentious bullspit.

^^This^^ I'm pretty sure the number of cases where over-processing has made a silk-purse image out of a sow's ear original is very, very, very small. I believe that there is a dividing line between photography and graphic art. My division is simple: If the camera is the primary tool used to create the image, and the computer & software incidental, then it's photography. Vice-versa? Then it's graphic art. There's nothing wrong with either one, and one certainly isn't better or require less ability than the other, they're just different. I think most of us, because of our backgrounds tend to think of photography as being a more 'pure' art form.

^^This^^ I'm pretty sure the number of cases where over-processing has made a silk-purse image out of a sow's ear original is very, very, very small.
Then it's not "can't" be done. I said, "in the right hands". My point stands.

thanks guys! :) I just read all your comments and advises. will surely take note of those.

Most reactions

Back