How can I improve this one

That's better.
Don't be afraid to fill the frame with a subject. When you look at a scene and decide you want to photograph it, you may do so without realizing that there is crap in the scene your brain has tuned out, but the photograph will showcase. The human eye/brain will look at an expansive, or busy scene and focus on/isolate a very specific part. When you take a shot of that same scene, the distractions are very obvious.
SO like they've mentioned, try and take this into account and plan out your shot more.

Maybe as an exercise, go around for a week or two and spend time filling your frame with subjects. The goal here is to look at objects in a new light, and try and take some shots of them in interesting perspectives.

A crop so the dolls left eye in on a rule of thirds power point. I added some exposure to the doll, took some exposure away from everything else, used the Spot healing brush on the green grafitti and some other distractions, sharpened just the doll some, and added a narrow black border.

6Crop197174175_3abbba72c6_b.jpg

B&W conversions aren't always a cure for a bad photo.

What I want to be able to discern is what that object is that is impaling her forehead. I even put on my glasses and can't tell what it is. You've cut it off with the crop which has, in essence, made that element superfluous.

IMO, a B&W image would be appropriate with this subject. However, your PoV is off, in my mind. I definitely envision a shot from the other side where the grafritti is part of the framing, but the annoying metalwork is out of shot, leaving some empty bench left. It looks as if the doll could be placed on the left vertical RoT line, prominent in the frame, yet breaking the "rule" of giving the subject space to look towards at the same time.

Thankyou very much everyone for taking the time to give me your help and advice. I will definitely try to put what you have said into practice.
The doll is much better without the piece of straw!
I was literally walking along with the camera in my hand and saw the doll and snapped a few. Think someone had rescued it from a bin.
Its quite complicated this photography lark int it?
Just call me frame filler for the next week or so!

Good heavens no Gary,
Too rich for me that place. If I could afford to live there I wouldn't be trying to cobble together some cash for a new camera.
I bet they dont have battered dolls and graffiti there though! :lol:

Most reactions

Back