How can I sharpen my images?

deasum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to work on focus. I have a Nikon D40 with the kit lens and also a 55-200mm VR. Any suggestions?
2248474-1e6b8163692f12dd.jpg

You would improve the sharpness of the image by landing your focus on the point of interest. Simple as that. Beyond that, you need to make sure your shutter speed is fast enough, and finally that you sharpen in post-processing to counteract the effects of the AA filter.

This was shot at f5.6, 1/1000 sec. Is there a particular focus setting on the camera that is better? For instance mine has single-servo focus, auto-servo focus, and continuous-servo focus.....

Thanks for the input!

Also, try a new lens. Stock lenses can only take you so far with image quality. Try a prime or a quality zoom.

I tend to sit in ai-sevo for wildlife since it takes into account the movements - however sometimes if your too quick with the shutter you can beat the ai whilst its acquiring focus and you get a soft shot.
Other people sit in single shot focus and some use only manual focus - its a case of working out which works best for you.

However if you are using any form of auto focus then you want to be using only the centre focusing point not letting the camera pick for you since it can't tell what you want in a shot to be sharp.

After that with wildlife you want to keep your focus on the eyes is possible.

After that you can consider turning off the VR and shooting from a tripod - that can help with the longer tele lenses and acquiring a sharp shot.

How can I change which point my camera is focusing on. It's currently using the left hand bracket. I'm trying to get it back to center but there's a million menus.

Thanks for the advice, that's really helped already!

can't say for nikon (don't use them myself) but look in your camera manual or look at the nikon website - they should have a download of the manual there if you have lost/missplaced yours

Most reactions

Back