How could have these been better? Mountains, snow etc...

Went out all day yesterday up the mountain region of Maine. Not knowing the area super well I struggled to find good places. Plus the time of day kinda sucked.

What could have made these better?

Most of these were taken in daylight. Time of day is going to make the most difference (unless you're in Iceland, where the light is always good).

Seeking and capturing good light is really helpful in landscape photography.

I like the comp in #2. You should look at Photographer's Ephemeris (The Photographer's Ephemeris) and see if the sun ever sets or rises above those mountains in that road scene. Could be a cool shot to plan for another day.

The last shot is probably the best, but it looks like you warmed up the scene significantly. The sky is kind of brown. I'm going to venture a guess you went with different processing with similar light as seen in the rest of the set. The photo is the best of the set because the composition is the best. But I think the warm light could be fool's gold.

The best light is going to be about 40 minutes before/after sunset/sunrise. So if you do most of your shooting in that window, you'll see better quality photos.

The last shot is probably the best, but it looks like you warmed up the scene significantly. The sky is kind of brown. I'm going to venture a guess you went with different processing with similar light as seen in the rest of the set. The photo is the best of the set because the composition is the best. But I think the warm light could be fool's gold.

Busted! Yeah It was around 3:00pm to the light was starting to get good but not good enough.

It's super tricky their to find where the light hits when. The mountains start throwing shadows on some portions as early as noon. I will check that site out and plan a trip another day.

Thanks for looking.

i like 4 the most, i love the little house's in it and with the blue you can just about feel how cold it would be to live there. with the cut off tree that does not add anything but it doesn't worry me one bit. nice job :)

I like the all. Maybe try a b/w conversion for fun. The only thing that could have really made them better is if the mountains were covered in elk, or nekid ladies. :) Also, what did you shoot these with?

Thanks. I guess I am just too harsh of a critic. I was aiming for more of a majeed-esque feel.

Talk of lofty goals for the new year!

I really like #5. The shape of the mountain is very interesting.

Also, being from out west I never knew that Maine had such big mountains. Well bigger than I thought you had. Very beautiful. I should have know because I work with two Maniacs presently.

Most reactions

Back