how did you get started in photography?

kekaru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
tell us your story.

Me personally, I was always a shutter bug, I always demanded control over the holiday snapshot camera. I was 15 when I got my first Digicam (Olympus something) and took it every where, when I was 17 when i got my first DSLR (Nikon D100) which is still going strong after four years and is still used and my secondary camera.

In the genes. My mother got me started as soon as I could hold a camera.

skieur

I bought an old plastic rollfilm camera at a school rummage sale for ten cents, back in 1973. That was my first camera. Within two years, I had bought a used Kodak Pony 135-B adjustable 35mm viewfinder camera.

I bought an old plastic rollfilm camera at a school rummage sale for ten cents, back in 1973. That was my first camera. Within two years, I had bought a used Kodak Pony 135-B adjustable 35mm viewfinder camera.

I love going to car boot sales and finding old film cameras, I went to germany not so long ago and found an old ex-military, it is a gem to use.

Gee, I progressed to video and television shooting by then after more than a decade of shooting stills.

skieur

I was 15 and my cuz was working for a videographer. He asked me if I want to replace him when he stops working. So for the next 4 yrs I was on the video end of the industry. Then I jumped into photography and learned the taste of NPS. Few years later I was walking around with square Bronica and few after that jumped on the digital wagon...

I needed to be able to document my art work in university for portfolios and archiving. The university school paper was looking for a photo editor that paid $30 a week (sweet). I had a camera, so I was "qualified" for the job. I learned a lot more than I wanted early on. I started shooting sports, bands that would play at the school and drama productions. I got decent enough to shoot under difficult lighting situations and it has always stuck as a serious hobby for me. After I failed as an artist (just kidding, I never really tried because I like to eat) photography became a handy tool in teaching at a high school: yearbook, media art, and the school web site.

i started out as a guide for guided hunts and brought a cousins d40x with me. i took some photos for some clients and the payed me a nice bit of money after cuz they were very pleased with what they saw. so inturn i put the money they gave me to my new found passion

I became the dedicated family photographer during our vacations.... 9-10ish of age (I think dad got tired of carrying the camera). At some point in time, I got bored of taking pics of ourselves at various locations and started to shoot everything else.

Mom wasn't happy with all the $$ spent processing rolls but did mention some could be made into postcards.... that really motivated me as a kid. A little while later, Dad's Minolta 7000 basically remained in my possession as I always just kept shooting... didn't return the camera to him until college.

Started out borrowing my uncle's AE-1P when I was about 13. ( which I still own, and will never give up. He was killed at a very young age in an industrial accident, and my aunt gave me his camera)

My parents bought me a Minolta X-700 for my 16th B-day. I was in high school yearbook & paper, worked with the local pro photographer who did all the portrait work, and my counselor was also a pro who taught a two student per semester photojournalism class, and I helped him out at a bunch of weddings. He also taught me how to develop & print.

Went to college and bought an FM2, worked on the paper, was a stringer for the Akron Beacon-Journal, and I kept in contact with my HS counselor, still helping him as a wedding second occasionally (his payment to me was letting me borrow his lenses :boogie:).

From there, it's just been a seriously expensive hobby.

Wayback highschool (1996-2000) I am in press club and gone to national competition for Photojournalism (very different from present time in school competitions). I was just lending a camera during '96 but a year after I brought a honor to my school my 2 cousins gave me "Yashica Camera" thats started me with more interest and from 1996-2000 I do bring some honor to my school and family.

The interest died after high graduation to focused on a Nursing degree (family influence)... I just hope I can still be a competitive person and do good works in taking picture.

You will always go back to what you love most and I regret for not being consistent on this field.

I am still a newbie and hoping to learn more from TPF :smileys:

It was less dramatic for me than it was for everyone else. I've always had a camera, first a little 110 film camera, then a 35 mm p&s. Never used them a whole lot, mostly around holiday time. Then a bit over three years ago, I decided to get my first p&s digicam, followed shortly thereafter by ANOTHER. Both were 4mp cameras. I decided to try and do more than just take holiday shots. A year later, picked up a better p&s (nikon P5100) and last year a Canon Xsi. And I've been on a journey to try and take better shots since.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back