How do digital photographers get that vibrant hazy glow?

niphredil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do digital photographers get that vibrant hazy glow to there photos? I don't know what to call it or how exactly to explain it. I've been trying to figure it out for a long time. Help, please? Much appreciated. :mrgreen:

Example of what I'm talking about: Serpentine | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That is not a good example because the top left corner has been darkened a lot and that has darkened the serpent's head.

but to answer your question, there are built in filters and blending modes in PhotoShop that can help with that.

That is not a good example because the top left corner has been darkened a lot and that has darkened the serpent's head.

but to answer your question, there are built in filters and blending modes in PhotoShop that can help with that.

Oooh, I see what you're saying about the example. And thanks! Any idea where I might read up on these particular blending modes?

Is that the Dragen effect? (I think its called dragen).

Otherwise look up HDR and Tonemapping as processes. They might well be additional sources of either the direct method you're after or could be used to create a similar effect. In editing there are often multiple paths to the same end goal

No, the Dragan (sp?) effect is really just a grunge effect.

To the OP: how familiar are you with the use of layers and photoshop?

Looks to me like he used a neutral density filter to darken the sky, and it darkened the dragon's head.

No, the Dragan (sp?) effect is really just a grunge effect.

To the OP: how familiar are you with the use of layers and photoshop?

Very! I'm on Photoshop all the time. I've built websites and make my own custom graphics, so I know a lot about layers in Photoshop. I figured this effect was done with Photoshop, but could never figure out how exactly it was executed.

I confess that I am totally confused. I see nothing either vibrant or hazy about that picture. It just looks dingy and sort of dull.

Diffusers, neutral density, layers?

Really guys this is a textbook example of throwing a picture into Photomatix and getting it to crap out the defaults. It's a run of the mill over cooked HDR shot, nothing more.

I am so confused. Am I looking at a different picture?

Might this be a better example of what you mean? This was processed using HDR techniques.

p1281570634-5.jpg

How do digital photographers get that vibrant hazy glow to there photos? I don't know what to call it or how exactly to explain it. I've been trying to figure it out for a long time. Help, please? Much appreciated. :mrgreen:

Example of what I'm talking about: Serpentine | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

gradeschool post processing and pushing the saturation slider.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back