How do I achieve this star light effect? what filter or setting do I need?

funky.fresh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello
I like his star effect of the blue LED coming out of the computer fan. How do I achieve this effect? I assume I will need some sort of filter but what?

s104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/Godspeed50/?action=view&...

I own a DSLR Nikon D40 and D60

I saved the image and opened it with Opanda
It said the exposure time was 2 seconds and F4 meaning aperature at 4?
What else do I need to make for this picture to look similar to that effect? The lighting is also great. Do I need an external flash with a diffuser?

You can use a star filter or just play around with different shutter speeds and apertures. It has a lot to do with the intensity of the light.

what is your recommendation on a star filter on 52mm? what is the best brand for average price? When do I use star filters?

a lot of that is done post process

That star looks like it could be a post effect, since there are no spikes on the lights in the front of the case.... The lighting was done with a simple lamp on the floor behind the tower I think. You can try shooting from a tripod at like f/14 or f/16 to try and get some diffraction on the bright lights. You will get little star spikes but I don't know if they'll be as intense as the example.

You can use photoshop filters if you have photoshop. If you do, let me know, i have the filters...

I think that is a star filter.. 8 point or something. I can see stars on the small lights also.

It's a 10-point, eight-point star filter. lol.

I didn't count. They do sell 8 pt you know.

I guess I miss the joke.. Im confused.

I think that was similar to light painting looks to me like a dark room a light from behind and the led effect is from the fans running on the processor and cooling fans could be wrong but that's my take.

I guess I miss the joke.. Im confused.[/QUOTE

hurm, as far as i know there is no 10 point star filters....only 4, 6, 8, 12. Derrel is having a seizure again.

The effect does appear to be that of a cross-screen filter; I'm not aware of anyone that makes ten or 12 point filters, but apparently someone does. This effect can also be replicated by simply holding up a piece of window screen in front of your lens (nb: The old wire screen seems to work much better than the newer plastic).

Most reactions

Back