How do I convince my wife I need the A-700?

HERE is a funny post when I asked the truck forums the same question...but about getting oversize tires. :) pretty entertaining. The best (worst) one was

"Tell her that since she is gaining some weight, you have to have bigger tires to haul her around."

Just buy it.

It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

How about getting a part time job and putting that money toward the body you want.

This is the best suggestion. My wife doesn't question my photog related purchases ever since I picked up two jobs which allowed her to stop working full time. She is happy as long as everything is provided for... but definitely doesn't want to know how much a spent.

Man, I am the luckiest. I am unmarried and my GF has no say about my hobbies or how I spend my money. When I was married, we always respected each other's hobbies and indeed did things that supported them.

That said... family ALWAYS comes first. If everything is smooth with the bills department, there should not be any real reason why you cannot open yourself an A-700 savings jar, fill it up and purchase it openly once you have enough, without needing to be deceitful to your wife.

It is all about learning to communicate.

All else fails... drop your camera into a deep puddle... LOL (I'm kidding!!)

Just do what I'm doing. I purchased my D50 6 months ago and am already looking to upgrade to a D300. I just told my GF I'll give her my D50 and everything was suddenly alright. ;)

How about getting a part time job and putting that money toward the body you want. My hobby is totally paid for from what I earn on the side, save etc. Wife doesn't bat an eye when I come home with something new, because I'm not taking food off the table. Just my perspective on the thing.

Good idea, but that's how we're paying for New York! I'm a teacher and I tutor on the side for $40/hr. This is the money that's going to pay for this trip (so to the person who suggested I take her somewhere nice, I already am!) I'll probably just wait 'til after the trip and start saving again. If she objects I'll be like, "Hey, I just tutored for 8 months to take you to New York, AND we got you a new car last year. It's time for me to get a toy."

If that doesn't work I'll just buy it and not tell her. She probably wouldn't notice the change!

tell the wife when you get the cam you will take hot and sexy pics of her. make her your model. being a model are many women's fantasy, i think.

My gear has totally paid for itself and everything now is profit. We first bought a Sony bridge camera to take to Italy 3 years ago. That trip is actually what got me into photography and wanting to try and take better pics. After realizing the shortcomings of my Sony MVC cd 500, I sold it to my brother in law for almost what I had in it. I then bought a Pentax ist DS for about $100 more. From there, all the lenses, lighting gear, BG set ups, and finally the K10d was all purchased with proceeds from little shoots here and there. There was a lot that I would drool after, but if I didn't have a photo job that would pay for it, I waited. I guess it really comes down to need v. want. If you are just shooting for fun, do you really need the newer features, or just want them? OTOH, if you are shooting paid weddings or portrait work or whatever, it's easier to make that jump. Make it pay for the upgrades and extra gear.

Especially since sometimes I use that extra money to take her on a weekend vacation, or a nascar race...
I may do whatever I please (in terms of gear) but if I threaten to take my wife to a NASCAR race the honeymoon will be over...:lol:

We've been to a number of Formula One races though, and Monaco is next on the list. :mrgreen:

:DBuy the Nikon D300 for our wife for Christmas (or any other occasion) .
Of course you will need to help her to learn how to use it and so will need to use it on occasion.........just to help her out!;)
I'm sure that this will work.....<vbeg>

I was going to post, but looks like Cathy beat me to it! I was going to be a little easier on you though, give her your 100 and you buy a A700. But being a Nikon family, what Cathy said sounds more like it. :) And we KNOW, the ladies are ALWAYS right. Just ask, they will let us know in no uncertain terms.

but what if his wife does not care about photography?

also, not selling the 100 means less overall money.

but what if his wife does not care about photography?

also, not selling the 100 means less overall money.

I'm just advising what works in my situation. Camera/photo gear OK, another motorcycle, not so much so. As a matter of fact, an untimely death was mentioned in a sentence that also included a name that started with J and ended with N. I haven't a clue who Cathy might be referring to, but I think as long as Nikon's don't come with 2 wheels and a motor I'm safe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back