How do I do this effect?

JPPLAY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How do I create a picture like this? Is it exposing the film multiply times? I of course would use a tripod so the camera doesn't move.

9.jpg

You take 6 shots on a tripod with a cable release: one of the background and the rest of the runner. Then cut and paste it together in Adobe PS.

If this was on one neg/slide then you could either expose for the background or the subject; you couldn't get proper exposure on both.

If you plan for 6 exposures, then the background must be under exposed by 5 stops every time to add up to proper exposure. The running guy wouldn't even show up probably.

If you expose properly for the subject, then the background is going to be way over exposed.

At 5 stops under exposed probably only his shiney bits would show up.

Does the first shot have to not include the subject in the picture as I would think you could take the subject and keep taking the pictures and ps them onto the first picture. When you do this in Photoshop how do you make sure you put the subject exactly where he/she should go. I notice these shots alot know mostly for snowboarding so it must be rather easy to ps them.

So I don't really need to use a tripod for this type of shooting. What kind of speed would I be looking at to take these kind of pictures?

As fast as possible. At least 1/250th of a second, and that may be too slow. But it shouldn't be a problem if you shot is set up like this one. Plenty of bright light, and at distances like this DOF quickly equals infinity so you can use wide open apertures to get even higher speeds.

My camera shoots up to 1/2000. Would you suggest I even shoot that fast?

The tripod is only necessary if you want the background to line up exactly in each shot, and it doesn't sound like that's a problem. Just remember to hold the camera still, don't pan with the subject.

I usually shoot Kodak 800 iso film. Should I get higher iso film or is this good?

If I PS the picture don't I lose some of the quality? Where can I go so I don't lose any quality that the eye can see?

JPPLAY said:
If I PS the picture don't I lose some of the quality? Where can I go so I don't lose any quality that the eye can see?

nope, you won't lose any quality using PS...i use PS for all my pics and i never lose any quality :)

I mean when I scan them into my computer. What kind of scanner do I need so I don't lose any of the quality or where do I need to go to get them scanned in so they don't lose any quality?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back