How do I get a higher resolution out of my pics?

J.Bat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbatdesigns.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so my ordering place says it would be best if I could have at least 6 mb for prints. The only problem is that I was wondering how to get the highest possible? Especially when I shot in jpg. Any ideas?

Shoot in RAW... and a Low iso

Well I shoot in RAW now, but is there any way to make it even higher than what it is already?

The simple answer is: You don't - set your camera to either RAW as mentioned or the highest .jpg resolution, and that's as good as it gets. What camera are discussing? There are ways of upsampling, but the results aren't always the best. I assume you're trying to print an 8x10 image?

There is no way to get better resolution after the fact.

There are ways to get a higher amount of pixels with minimal loss.

Two words.

"GENUINE FRACTALS"

LWW

I upsize using bicubic smoother in Photoshop. I've heard upsizing in 10% steps was better than upsizing in a single step, but in my personal tests I can't see a difference. I do a see a difference in very large prints between upsizing myself or letting the lab do it; I think it looks better when I do it. For one I can adjust sharpening if i need to afte the upsize, although I usually don't do anything after the upsize. I've made a few 20"x30" prints from 8mp, which is more than doubling the original size, and I can hardly believe how good the prints look.

Hang on... why do you need to upsize and what are the reasons you are not getting the full resolution out of your pics?

I just did a little test:

Camera: D200
Megapixels: 10
RAW file size: 10.05MB

Converted to JPG at maximum PS CS3 compression (15) and the size came out to 8.52MB

Same file but converted to JPG using PS CS3 compression of (8) and the size came out to 1.43 MB

An obvious and huge difference. Now a question to the OP... what program are you using and HOW are you saving the JPGs?

I see absolutely no issue getting a 6MB file out of even an 8MP RAW Nikon file. Other RAW files should have no issues either.

Is there a way to shrink the image to lets say, 800 x 500 edit the pic but still have 6 + megs?

I am guessing rather than "mb" (megabytes), it is meant as "mp" (megapixels)?

Megabytes shouldn't matter, my photos straight from the camera are only 3-4 mb.

Hang on... why do you need to upsize and what are the reasons you are not getting the full resolution out of your pics?

I just did a little test:

Camera: D200
Megapixels: 10
RAW file size: 10.05MB

Converted to JPG at maximum PS CS3 compression (15) and the size came out to 8.52MB

Same file but converted to JPG using PS CS3 compression of (8) and the size came out to 1.43 MB

An obvious and huge difference. Now a question to the OP... what program are you using and HOW are you saving the JPGs?

I see absolutely no issue getting a 6MB file out of even an 8MP RAW Nikon file. Other RAW files should have no issues either.

i've always thought the max compression is 12, not 15? i could be thinking of something else though

Last edited:
Shots from the camera are possibly 72-96 ppi, having cropped to print size these are now not fit to print so before writing to cd or whatever go to image size untick "resample image" box and change resolution from 72/96 to 300ppi. You can also do it in the crop tool dialogue box to save the same happening in future, if you're happy shooting jpeg you needn't shoot raw to change the resolution. H

i've always thought the max compression is 12, not 15? i could be thinking of something else though

I am at work now, but you are right. That's a typo that slipped by me. See what happens when you type 45wpm and are talking to someone at the same time? :D

Ok so my ordering place says it would be best if I could have at least 6 mb for prints. The only problem is that I was wondering how to get the highest possible? Especially when I shot in jpg. Any ideas?
Many cameras have to ability to save a jpeg in either "standard" compression or in "fine" mode. (Some even offer a low mode.) If you have such an option, then save in-camera as "fine" and you'll squeeze a little more out of them.

Still won't come close to the resolution obtainable by starting with a RAW file.

Shots from the camera are possibly 72-96 ppi, having cropped to print size these are now not fit to print so before writing to cd or whatever go to image size untick "resample image" box and change resolution from 72/96 to 300ppi. You can also do it in the crop tool dialogue box to save the same happening in future, if you're happy shooting jpeg you needn't shoot raw to change the resolution. H

Agreed! This is the correct and most effective approach. :thumbup:

skieur

Most reactions

Back