How do I go about finding people to shoot?

It's a form of Autism.

Yes, but we are not disabled really, it's a cognitive style. Calling it a disability is offensive. We are usually more logical (in our own way) and less emotional in our actions than most people. Can we talk about photography?

Coworkers. People at your college. Just ask people that you know. If you can't get past your own insecurities regarding your aspergers, you're never going to go anywhere.

For my first portrait shoot, it was November and I just asked my neighbors when I saw them outside if they wanted to get any fall photos done. They accepted and I warned them that I was new and wanted practice, but they were willing to give it a shot. In the end, they were thrilled with the photos and I got some much needed practice and had a blast.

Coworkers. People at your college. Just ask people that you know. If you can't get past your own insecurities regarding your aspergers, you're never going to go anywhere.

For my first portrait shoot, it was November and I just asked my neighbors when I saw them outside if they wanted to get any fall photos done. They accepted and I warned them that I was new and wanted practice, but they were willing to give it a shot. In the end, they were thrilled with the photos and I got some much needed practice and had a blast.

The problem is not finding people I think, it's more like approaching them without seeming to be some sort of creep or pervert.

Yea i have a cousin that has the "condition". He's just extremely obsessed with certain things. He's a pyromaniac and loves magnets. I tried hanging out with him a few times, but once he started talking about buying magnets that were so powerful that it could **** **** up, I had to cut him off.

The problem is not finding people I think, it's more like approaching them without seeming to be some sort of creep or pervert.

Why would they think that? Are you looking to shoot nude photos or something? If so, I suggest avoiding that until you're much more comfortable with your own work.

Do you not have ANYONE that you talk to on a semi-regular basis? All you have to do is say "Hey, I'm trying to get into photography and I'm looking to get some more practice. Would you ever want to get some pictures done for free?"

I say free because you're new, and you're definitely not ready to charge. It's a fair trade.. they get free pictures to throw up on facebook, you get practice.

We can be very... fanatical about our interests. When I was little all I would talk about was the history Kindgom of the Two Sicilies, it all started with a museum visit, harmless or so my parents thought at the time... :lol:

Why would they think that? Are you looking to shoot nude photos or something? If so, I suggest avoiding that until you're much more comfortable with your own work.

Do you not have ANYONE that you talk to on a semi-regular basis? All you have to do is say "Hey, I'm trying to get into photography and I'm looking to get some more practice. Would you ever want to get some pictures done for free?"

I say free because you're new, and you're definitely not ready to charge. It's a fair trade.. they get free pictures to throw up on facebook, you get practice.

No, Jesus no, no nude pictures. I wouldn't even be able to press the shutter and that's not what I am interested in anyway. But yes, I have no intention of charging money. No, I just talk to a few people and they don't seem photogenic to me and well, I have this social awkwardness which makes it difficult for me to approach total strangers.

If you can't get over that, then maybe portrait photography isn't your thing. Nobody here is going to be able to help you get past your own social awkwardness, you're the only one that can do that.

You don't need to approach complete strangers yet.. just ask anyone that you already associate with. If they have a girlfriend/boyfriend, ask if they and their significant other would like to get some pictures done.. that might make it seem less "creepy" too. That's all you have to do.

One of my lecturers is always wearing a bow tie and tweed jacket, he is a really interesting character, would it be weird if i asked him?

No, it wouldn't. But now I'm starting to smell troll too.

My facial expression is also sort of frozen, to some people I look like I strangled my dog or something. I've had people tell me that I look creepy to those that don't know me. A girl once told me "There's murder in your eyes." :grumpy:

It is very difficult for me to make the first contact with people.

Sell your camera gear and move to an island somewhere.

You've shot down everything anyone has suggested. You're either a troll or photography just isn't going to work for you because you don't want it bad enough.

To be honest, sounds like you're going on about a pity-me-party.

Good luck in your venture. I'm out.

What do you usually say when you see someone you want to shoot?

I am familiar with Asperger's in children and adults. I think whoever made that nasty comment about your eyes has vastly less social competence and tact than you do and that you should not past negative experiences dictate your art.

Go ahead and ask some people - they may be more comfortable bringing a friend (as stated above) or shooting in the park or other public setting, so scope out some good locations first and ask them which would be the most convenient for them. You may do better with men than women initially, too. It might be nice to show them some of your sample work (non-portrait, if that's what you have) when you ask them.

What do you usually say when you see someone you want to shoot?

Don't say "I'd like to shoot you." :lol:

You'll probably get better advice from someone who has actually done this (ie. not me). ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back