How do I go about finding people to shoot?

1. go someplace interesting that has people
2. bring camera and start shooting
3. look for the hottest person there and ask them to strike a pose
4. if yes, shoot pictures and then
5. ask for drinks
4a. if no, goto 3. and find the next hottie.

My gosh have you never seen girls gone wild. young betties will do anything for attention.

One thing which has always worked for me is this: When I take a photo of someone unawares, and they notice me right after the shot, I go over to them and through the view finder show the shot to them. Almost always that results in a smile... and you know what follows, I then step back and offer to take another. They usually oblige and the second shot comes out better than the first.

No, I just talk to a few people and they don't seem photogenic to me

well, this is perhaps the first thing to learn: to look without prejudice. If you have to exercise for portraits, you have to exercise your eye in recognising what can be photogenic in any person. It's difficult, is easier to start with people you know very well like friends and relatives (because you know where to look), but a photographer should become able to take pictures of any person. If not, wait until you come back to Sicily for vacations, and start there with your relatives.

At the end, you have to learn to use the camera, to appropriately light the scene, and the person face/body are just a detail.

(although I second the advice of going to a Photo circle and/or taking some short course: I liked portraits, I did a short portrait course where in the practical part we used ourselves as models).

People that don't seem photogenic are often the most. You have to learn to talk to people and engage them. Shoot them while you ask question that may get a rise out of them. Smiling happy people are boring to shoot unless there's something else interesting going on in the scene.

And ask friends and families. Just explain that you want to get better at photography and need people to practice with. I have a whole group of friends that know I'm a photographer and realize that I generally want them to do something stupid infront of the camera for a good photo.

If you plan on shooting people you have to have at least SOME people skills or it's just not going to work.

Just because someone's not photogenic doesn't mean they won't make an interesting subject. Some of my random candids are my favorite shots I've ever taken, and they're not necessarily the most attractive people I've seen. Be a little more open minded, and try working on your social skills a bit. It's not always easy, but you can't expect any kind of future in photography without some advancement in your social network.

Most reactions

Back