How do I go about finding people to shoot?

Photo Marksman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My main interest is portrait photography. I will never take a picture of someone without their knowledge and consent and I have model releases ready. I have heard of places like Model Mayhem and such but unfortunately you need to have already shot people in order to join. It's like a circle... How do you get into Portrait photography? I just moved to an exchange university so everyone is foreign to me and I don't have any friends in this rainy place. What should I do to find people to pose for me and sign a release?

Well.. lol kinda a tough situation. I would carry your camera where ever you go and just take pictures of people, and somewhat get their attention before or after you do it. Initiate conversation and make friends. And from starting a circle of friends, you also started a group of people to take photos of.

Just letting you know, you don't need a release unless you plan on selling your photos, for the most part.

Try a coffee house. A senior center. A park. An airport. Try to set up little on-the-fly shoots on location to build a portfolio. Only takes a few minutes.

There are literally opportunities everywhere there are people.

I have a condition known as Asperger, this makes that I have very poor social skills, and seem emotionless. To people this may seem creepy if I approach them in the street. That's also why some of my writing sounds a bit odd. And since I am a foreign country it's not as easy as when I am in my home country of Italy. My english is fine but well, I have Asperger.

Don't let it stop you. People will respond to you. Some good, some bad. If you want to shoot people you have to get out there. You can't let your "condition" prevent you from doing something. If you're that uncomfortable, write a little blurb about what you're trying to do and print a bunch of them and start walking around handing them out. You don't have to say a word. They can think you're a mute or whatever, who cares.

Point is, if you want to shoot, you have to get out and, well... shoot. :er:

My facial expression is also sort of frozen, to some people I look like I strangled my dog or something. I've had people tell me that I look creepy to those that don't know me. A girl once told me "There's murder in your eyes." :grumpy:

It is very difficult for me to make the first contact with people.

You could check around for a camera club too. I'm sure the members wouldn't mind practicing on each other.

Do you know how much you smell like a troll?

I am just different than neuro typical people that's all. This difference may seem to you like 'trolling' but trust me I have no reason to waste my time doing stuff like that. I am here to get information and discuss stuff.

Well if this is something you want to do, your just going to have to do it regardless of anything else. If you cant push past the fear of interacting then im sorry its probably not going to work out. Just shoot and smile. =)

I certainly hope you are not a troll, because if you are and making up some story about Aspergers or any other disability for that matter.....it's not cute, a joke, etc. I've been following your posts and some things aren't adding up for me, I'm just going to ask nicely, please if you are just joking around....don't use a disability.

I certainly hope you are not a troll, because if you are and making up some story about Aspergers or any other disability for that matter.....it's not cute, a joke, etc. I've been following your posts and some things aren't adding up for me, I'm just going to ask nicely, please if you are just joking around....don't use a disability.

Asperger is not a disability, we just work differently and can interact just fine with other people who have Aspergers. We usually are wired in a more, well, logical way as in we don't understand most social conventions because we don't use them. Many people with Asperger have to learn simple things like that it is normal to say Hello to people when you first meet them etc... But usually most of us are gifted in some way, either with a high IQ, a very good memory or some other kind of skill. So again, Asperger is not a disability, it's a difference/condition.

It's a form of Autism.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back