How do I pick the lens?

bahandi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been AWOL from TPF for a long time, but now I'm back, with and XTi!! YAY!! Finally.

Anyway, I've been doing some searching as to what would make a good walk around lens and referencing Don's Photo (Don's Photo | Home) for these lenses.

What I really want to know, aside from the obvious "Canon" lenses, how do I know which ones will be compatible? I haven't been able to come across a thread discussing this.

While I can't comment on the image quality of Canon's version, the 18-200 focal-length is generally considered to be an excellent walk-around range. I'll leave a Canonite to confirm this, but AFAIK, all of the Canon-mount Sigma lenses should be compatible with your body.

Thanks tirediron.

Canon-mount, does that mean I need an adapter? I think this is where I was headed.

How do I know that I can walk up to a lens, like what it offers, and mount it directly to my camera or find the adapter for it?

You won't normally need an adaptor; if you read the description for the Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lenses, you'll see that they specify the body for which it is meant.

you need EF-S lenses. I would recommend the new 15-85mm. 15mm is much wider than 18mm! It is also a much higher quality lens than the 18-200mm

Should " walk around lens" be compiled as Point and shoot? If so....then go for the Tamron 18-270mm. I heard it's a great lens. :thumbup:
--- I wouldn't recommend getting and EF-S lens, because it's not compatible ,if you will upgrade to a full format, when you will go further in photography. I'm thinking to upgrade to a full format and I have two important range lens I can't use.
Else , it's not wise to get a super zoom, as they perform poorer than two or three lenses at that range. As they say "You can't have 'em all!" . Talking about convenience and quality.
Hope I helped at least a little.

reading views of some users of 18-200mm lenses they generally all feel the same way - its not a very good lens optically speaking - but when they are out on holiday its a great lens because it does all you need it to from a single lens and thus you don't have to lug other gear around. This I read a lot from family people not wanting to have the burden of their camera gear with them all the time whilst on holiday with the kids and stuff.

That is a general view, I can't really give much more than that save to summise that the 18-200mm and similar lenses are good convenience but not that good opticaly speaking.

As for EFs vs EF lenses - EFS lenses do have advantages that they are cheaper and lighter than regular EF lenses and some EFS lenses are as good as L grade glass (canon however only lable EF lenses with the L lable). They are however no good if you are thinking of upgrading to a fullframe camerabody in the future - however is that is not anywhere near on the cards then do look to EFS lenses as a viable option.

Edit - all modern sigma and tamron lenses with a canon mount should fit your camera and work perfectly fine without any problems or need for adaptors - sigam and tamron make a range of lenses the same, but with different mounts for different camera companies like canon and nikon - so do make sure you get the right mount lens for your camera.
Some of the older sigma lenses might not work on your camera - though you would likley have to hit the 2nd hand market to find these - since sigma have to reverse construct their lenses to canon mounts (canon don't give them the details). In many though you can have the lens sent to sigma to be rechipped - and thus the AF, exposure and aperture blades will return under control of the camera (provided that its an electronic based lens)

Thank you all! I would hit the "thank" button for all of you, but that would make me feel like I'm abusing the system.

I see now that company's specify the cameras they're intended for.

I've got a lot of considerations to make. Although a general walk around lens (like the 18-200) is a nice concept, I also have to admit that a lot of my photos are taking indoors. So I suppose I'll have to look into a faster lens also.

Thank you all, once again.

I've been AWOL from TPF for a long time, but now I'm back, with and XTi!! YAY!! Finally.

Anyway, I've been doing some searching as to what would make a good walk around lens and referencing Don's Photo (Don's Photo | Home) for these lenses.

What I really want to know, aside from the obvious "Canon" lenses, how do I know which ones will be compatible? I haven't been able to come across a thread discussing this.

I use one lens for walking around indoors, a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro HSM. It's pretty fast and the zoom allows me to fill the frame with head shots and I can zoom it back for full room shots. It has the added benefit of being a macro.

When walking around out doors, I use the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM. I use a mono pod when outdoors since I'm normally shooting animals at extreme zoom. Hope this helps. Good luck.

excellent suggestion, thank you. How is that Sigma lens with your Macro shots? I find myself leaning towards that form of photography as well.

Lol, I've got countless macro shots of cell phones, keyboard keys, computer mouses(?)/mice(?), car keys, etc, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back