How do I stop caring what others think and take pictures for me?

Hey all, nerwin stopped posting like a year ago. Not that he can’t start back up... Just an FYI...

I think we all could learn something about inclusiveness with other's work and abilities by reading posts here though.

Hey all, nerwin stopped posting like a year ago. Not that he can’t start back up... Just an FYI...

I re-read parts of this thread and yesterday and sent Nerwin an e-mail,letting him know that I would like to see him come back.

I re-read parts of this thread and yesterday and sent Nerwin an e-mail,letting him know that I would like to see him come back.

I follow him on Flickr and he still occasionally posts there. I agree he is talented and I hope he continues to share his work.

I think we all could learn something about inclusiveness with other's work and abilities by reading posts here though.
I agree, just setting the stage so that people that are talking directly to him don't expect an immediate response.

And I do agree, I wish nerwin would come back. I always enjoyed his topics and his photos.

I just read through this thread and even though it's a year old now, I think it brings up a very important topic. The dependency on social media for validation is a big problem for a lot of people. Addiction to social media in general is a huge thing today. It seem very easy for artists of any kind to value what they do by how many "likes" they get. I know that myself can feel a bit bummed that I don't get a lot of favs or likes on my photos, but I also know that I only post on flickr and 500px and that I don't do anything for exposure. And I like my photos (most days lol) so meh. I keep doing it because I love going out there and spend an hour on getting photos of that one spider I ran into.
Getting all those hundreds or thousands of likes takes a ton of work to market and promote yourself, and I fear that this is a fact that a lot of artists miss. Like several of you said, it's a business.
Social media is also so mindless. Most people are to preoccupied with themselves and keeping up appearances that they won't bother with anything that isn't "main stream" All that skin showing and foods and sunsets are what people will jump on. And like someone else here said, validation from people on social media, in most cases, will mean nothing. Most people don't know what they are looking at. It's all about trends and image.
Anyone with this kind of problem that happen to find this thread, realize that you might have a real problem that you might need professional help with. It might be behaviour therapy or even just something as simple as talking once or twice to someone, it helps getting some distance to your feelings and behaviour so you can more easily analyze it and find out WHY you are keeping up a destructive behaviour. (I know from personal experience) Will make it easier to break bad habits. Don't be afraid to get help!

This is a personal, emotional issue within himself. it’s not about his photography. I hope he figures it out and returns to the group.

We are in the midst of a significant social revolution.Society is changing quite a bit. Social media has impacted the lives of hundreds of millions.

I see him posting in the Fuji facebook group occasionally, too. I also miss his presence on the forums -- both his photography and the honesty with which he posted.

We are in the midst of a significant social revolution.Society is changing quite a bit. Social media has impacted the lives of hundreds of millions.

That is very true. But it only has the power that we give it. Shoot for yourself and do not be concerned what others think of your work.

I post on social media, and I'll admit that it's easy to get addicted to the endorphin rush that comes from the likes. However I prefer honest feedback good/or bad, so that I can improve.

Throughout human history there have been technological advances that brought with them huge societal changes. The telephone, the automobile, television, The Internet, e-mail, cell phones, and social media...all of these things have brought with them big changes. For all of us alive today. The automobile has always been, but for people who were born in the 1800s, the automobile was pretty much A new thing, and the changes it brought were both painful, and joyful.
A few years ago I read a thing that said if you were reachable by telephone on the weekend (at one time) it meant you were super wealthy, then the telephone became common and pretty much everybody was reachable by telephone, even on the weekends--and now being Un-reachable by telephone on the weekends means that you are super wealthy. I saw that yesterday the country of France passed a law making it illegal for employers to contact their employees by telephone outside of work hours. We have now arrived at a point where the cellular telephone's presence has created a constant state of being plugged in.

A few weeks ago I was watching the NCAA three-Point Shootout and dunk contest, and was surprised to see the sheer number of young people in their 20s who are more or less constantly uploading or checking social media. I remember when the first iPhone was released a little over a decade ago, and how uncommon cellular telephones used to be. But now? The world has changed for many people.

Last edited:
I remember when the first iPhone was released a little over a decade ago, and how uncommon cellular telephones used to be

My first mobile phone was a mobile radio telephone. The transceiver was mounted in the trunk. Expensive and limited. I thought I was on the cutting edge when Motorola came out with the bag phone
vintage-motorola-scn2194a-car-bag-phone-metrocel-celluar.jpg

Then came the "Brick", try sticking one of those in your pocket. LOL

I remember when my wife and I got our first answering machine. THAT was life changing let me tell you.

Social media is poison. I've haven't even had TV for 10 years. I stream things of course, but the commercial social manipulation is truly profound when you've been away from it for so long. We are convinced to hate our neighbors for clicks and advertising. Very sad. It didn't use to be like this. I can say that to my kids and they will nod their head, but they will never really know.

Divide and conquer is the phrase that comes to mind these days. Well, we've been divided ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back