How do I stop caring what others think and take pictures for me?

Nicholas, I love your work, because I can identify with it, not because I feel the need for you to entertain me. Post what you like and enjoy the process. I would rather have 5 like minded followers than 5000 score keepers. There are several people on this forum that I feel are kindred spirits and I enjoy thier sharing.

I'm sure my work inspires very few but I'm still enjoying the learning process. I have no lofty goals of being the best, shoot things that mean something to you, or just shoot some crazy off the wall quirky stuff because you like it.

Whatever you do, enjoy it, or don't waste you time, life is to short.

Nicholas, I love your work, because I can identify with it, not because I feel the need for you to entertain me. Post what you like and enjoy the process. I would rather have 5 like minded followers than 5000 score keepers. There are several people on this forum that I feel are kindred spirits and I enjoy thier sharing.

I'm sure my work inspires very few but I'm still enjoying the learning process. I have no lofty goals of being the best, shoot things that mean something to you, or just shoot some crazy off the wall quirky stuff because you like it.

Whatever you do, enjoy it, or don't waste you time, life is to short.

You're right. Life is too short to worry about likes and followers. You make a good point.

Point 1: As others have stated, there is nothing wrong with the quality of your work.

Point 2: Your condition is a form of addiction. Given the length of time you've talked about it, I would say that you're not likely to be able to remedy the situation on your own, therefore, seek professional help. There very well may be a "social-media anonymous" type of group in your area, or other form of addiction treatment / therapy. It might not be fun, but I would urge you to look into this, as I don' think things will change any other way.

Point 1: As others have stated, there is nothing wrong with the quality of your work.

Point 2: Your condition is a form of addiction. Given the length of time you've talked about it, I would say that you're not likely to be able to remedy the situation on your own, therefore, seek professional help. There very well may be a "social-media anonymous" type of group in your area, or other form of addiction treatment / therapy. It might not be fun, but I would urge you to look into this, as I don' think things will change any other way.

Thanks for your opinion and advice.

But I'll figure it out on my own eventually.

Just because your not paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you.

Thanks for all the advice. I really do appreciate it.

I really thought about it and decided to take sometime off from social media. I'm not going to stop taking pictures, but I'm just not going to share them. Unless it's a photo I really like, I might post it here or send it to a friend or two.

It might be a week or two or perhaps a month and just focus on me and just taking pictures. The amount of time I spend on social media, I could be using experimenting and practicing. It might be exactly what a need. I haven't done it before. My goal is to just have fun with photography, maybe finally read those books I haven't read yet.

I think your a wonderful artist. I frequently visit your Flickr page because you really don't post a lot on here. I always come away impressed by the content. I think your work has gone up to a new level since your purchase of the new camera system. The hardware clearly works for you. However, I don't click the like because I'm too lazy to log in, lol.

If I could offer any advise, it would be to use the time consumed on social media and replace it with printing and framing your work. Maybe buy a Canon printer with all those cartridges, some good paper, and teach yourself to make frames and Matt's. Your work is very worthy for competition and display. I would suggest making zines as well to send out to various galleries, potentially opening up opportunities for people to hang your art in their homes.

I believe you have carved a path in your artistic journey but have come to a fork in the road, and you are just temporarily off the path.

Much easier just to not give a hoot. I post what I want, reply as I think is needed and take whatever crap I get back...if I like it, I might make a change but in general, I just does what I wants to.

Most folks commenting on photos in such places have as much knowledge in photo critique as your uncle harry. So their praise or criticism is so much bs. Want valid criticism, enter competitions or club shows with a skilled judge and stop worrying about the idiots. It is casting your pearls among swine. Constructive criticism from a skilled judge will elevate your work, inaccurate praise or criticism from idiots will do nothing but confuse, and it sounds like, depress you. And when you do show your work to the uninitiated, develop a thick skin and just chalk up stupid comments to just that, stupidity. If you know what you are doing and the quality of your work, why worry about idiots? And as a corollary, don't put much value in their praise. I wish I had a nickel for every gwc who had their friends say they had a "good eye." Everyone thinks they are a natural and know a good image. Til they find out what goes into an excellent image. Ansel Adams said 12 excellent images A YEAR is a good crop. Want to see some quality judging, find a friend in PPA and get a group together at their house to watch the broadcast judged competition coming up August 4-8. But going to a photo club that has good judges will have images with the more common errors over and over and you will learn what not to have in your images and how to improve them not only from the critique of your work but from the critique of other who aren't seasoned pros. Golfers have a saying, practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. George Carlin had a great quote he said people think it is tragic how low the average IQ is but what is really tragic is since it it the average, about half are dumber than that. That applies to photo critique. Just be ready to realize some are less than the already low photo/art IQ. As Derrel points out, if you want to impress the lower half, shoot the cliched crap that they like. But as a friend once told me, he doesn't care if they like them, so long as they buy them.

Most folks commenting on photos in such places have as much knowledge in photo critique as your uncle harry.

Have you taken a serious look at TPF???? Even here that happens. At least here you do get the occasional nugget of sound advice. For me sound, honest critique, by a knowledgeable photographer is the ultimate "like".

Getting likes and followers on social media isn't done by just posting a great photo. It's a business, like any other. Unless you're famous; if so, you'll garner likes and comments just by being famous. The general public? Never. Sorry to be blunt.

People that have 10K+ followers and get 1K+ likes on photos don't do it by simply posting a photo. They post constantly, multiple times per day usually. Every. Single. Day. They constantly develop new material--every single week they may take dozens of new photos for material. They follow current trends, and sometimes are ahead of the game. They know who to tag, what to hashtag, when to post. They follow people and engage. They may PAY to sponsor their photos, which may gather more likes.

I won't bore you with my food instagrammer example again. I've already mentioned her a few times. :p

It's a business.

Edited to add: Also, now with IG, they also have to make VIDEOS.

They need to shove content in your face literally and constantly; otherwise, they're lost alongside all of the other content being forced down your throat.

Smoke, like you I look to knowledgeable photographers for sound critique. The problem with the occasional nugget beyond "nice pic" which is so often the level of critique on line, is it is buried among so much waste. I haven't looked here. I have seen some great and experienced photographers here so no doubt some good critique. Folks like Derrel have been doing this for decades and I am sure he gives great analysis. There are several others. I have won and judged professional competitions so have a clue what goes into a great image but I like to have another set of eyes that aren't biased giving solid review. I pick apart my images harder than any judge will but when I have someone I respect reviewing my images, I listen. Often, they may not get the purpose of the shot, the message. I regularly get them analyzed by the most difficult judges, the checkbook holders and as I recommended above, don't take uninformed critique seriously. I understand where the op is coming from. Many years ago started entering professional competitions to see how my work stacked up. After winning my very first competition and several classes and numerous awards in subsequent competitions, I didn't need reassurance of the quality of my work. Now I just make my images and am satisfied if I obtain my vision and nail the shot. Op will get there. When I start a shoot, there is no question in my mind I will hit a home run. Like golf, you have to get out of the way of it happening. It's why I loved Tiger playing, no matter how bad he hit a shot, he wasn't rattled and recovered. My recommendation to op, go for your vision, the critics be damned. Steiglitz and Steichen brought over some paintings to show in NYC and the art bombed and was ridiculed by the critics. The artist is known by his last name, Picasso. Steiglitz was told his image wasn't sharp at a NY photo club. He told them, it's supposed to be. Who the heck even knows who those bozos are today? Follow your vision.

My instagram is mostly photos of food and random crap

Learn to be like a famous orange toddler who imagines that all the world loves him even though they don’t.

Last edited:
Am I on a political site?

Everybody should watch the Black Mirror episode 'Nosedive'. We are about three quarters there and its scary.
Thankfully I never embraced social media, which is a little surprising since I'm in the tech field. Forums are the closest I get and only join those associated with one of my many hobbies. I use them to learn from my peers and discuss hobby specific topics. I do use Flickr but more for 'access anywhere' to my photos and to post on the forums. I admit it is nice when I get a new follower or someone 'likes' one of my photos but don't try to make it my purpose in life.
If I were to base how good my photography was based on likes or followers I would have given up photography a long time ago.
I personally, especially on forums, prefer to get criticism than someone just liking a photo. Criticism and proper comments on photos helps you become a better photographer than just someone blindly hitting the like button. I admit doing that myself a lot but I don't feel I'm at a level where I can give good criticism. Hopefully at some point I will and be able to give back more than I take.
My advice, stay far away from IG and the like, continue to use forums like TPF where you can hone your craft by sharing with other photographers. You are good enough, I have seen your work for the last couple years, that you can help out a lot of new photographers. Share your knowledge and extend your own. IG and Social Media will not do that for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back