how do i "use" my soft focus filter?

hazzayoungn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
a few months back, a guy i found via craigslist sold me his 28mm. since he decided to give up photography altogether, he gave me his lot of filters and told me to have fun with them.

he gave me a soft focus filter with an additional glass piece

soft-focus-filter.jpg

it seems like its two rings that screw on, but it feels impossible to get apart. anyone have a clue as to how to put the speckly glass inside the rings? or am i just not trying hard enough

muchos gracias

Sometimes for whatever reason threads jam up. I had a polariser stuck on my lens once. I basically forced it off :S

You could try a very thin grease. Something like teflon based Tri-Flow which I use on Bicycle parts, or other sewing machine oils. That may make unscrewing easier

Well the first one is not exactly a soft-focus filter it is a spot filter. It is meant to make the center clear and the surroundungs blury the other filter does look like a soft-focus filter but it looks like the metal part was meant as a holder where the glass can be interchanged so yes.. you will need to get that holder apart.

I always have filter threads jamming you could try using a rubber pad for opening jar lids it may give you enough grip without tearing your fingers up..

agh, my apologies, spot focus is what i meant

anyways, ive tried the rubber sheet method (swimming caps work pretty well too) but to no avail.

i may try the grease method, but ive had bad experiences with it in the past with other projects, though, a free filter wouldnt be such a waste in terms of cost if things did go awry

thanks for assuring my thoughts that theres no secret mechanism to magically unlock it...

At the very worst the filter missing the glass can have the ring broken free with 2 pair of pliers just hold the ring with one pair of pliers and use the other to snap the ring ,twist so you don't distort the good filter ring..

This is a better solution then tossing the whole thing..

Hi, have you tried placing one piece of rubber on a large hard cover book then the stuck lens on top of the rubber and a second piece of rubber on top of the lens followed by another hard cover book? Place the 'lens' sandwich on a sturdy table and press down very hard in the center of the top book (and the center of the lens) and twist in a counter clockwise direction.

If that doesn't work there are wrenches that use belts that you might borrow or fabricate.

good luck

mike

couldnt that damage the threads?

It might if your not really carefull they've made of a very low grade alloy no strength to them..

But like I said its a last choice or take it the camera shop (a real one) that deals with repairs i'm sure they have a trick or two..

I would suggest alternating some heat and cold to help the metals naturally break apart. Of course heat will expand the metal some and a very fast transition to cold may be all you need to loosen it up. Boil a pot use tongs to dip it in for a few mins, then dip in a bowl of ice water, then try to loosen it up. Good luck

NO! That may work for metal but it may shatter the glass! I still hold the record for most "safety" testtubes broken in highschool chemistry. Using that method.

if you want to use heat, wrap copper wire around the top one so that it fits snugly, remove it keeping the shape and diapemeter, hten put the copper ring over an open flame (or on an electric stovetop) till ti is really hot, place it over the metal of the exterior of the threads that are over the inferior lens. This'll cause the outer layer of metal to expand, and slide off of the inferior filter threads.

wow...do i have a story for you guys

my swim cap fell apart, so i decided to cut it in half and try mikeE's idea of the two rubber sheets. i put the rings on the book and was about to put the second book with the sheet between. i repositioned the ring before, and guess what...

i poked it, and the thing was loose. it came apart with no effort at all

i swear it was taunting me. grr :angry1:

oh well. thanks for your guys for all the input and the creative ideas. on the bright side, i now have a rubber sheet to throw in the camera bag in case the polarizer gets stuck on...an extremely moody effect filter too

Most reactions

New Topics

Back