How do these look to you?

RowmyF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys - I did a shoot the other day for a family. The weather was very overcast with the sun peaking out here & there...how do you think these shots came out? I'd like some technical hhcc! Thanks!

1-4.jpg

10-3.jpg

17-1.jpg

Overall, I think they are pretty good. I like the quirkiness of wearing a toque and a summer dress.

In the first one, she is dead centre...but I think it works well with the path. I'd like to see more light/exposure on her face though.

The 2nd is great. My one nitpick is that her right foot is growing out of her head.

The 3rd one looks a little weird. Firstly, her expression isn't great and it's making her eyes look strange to me. The color is also a bit strange. It's too yellow/green.

I think that all of these would benefit from a vignette.

Hey Big Mike- thanks for the FB once again :)

The 2nd picture doesn't look a little flat/cold to you?

And vignetting? do tell :) how's that work

Does this version look better to you? Or you're just not fond of the picture, at all?

11-2.jpg

And vignetting? do tell how's that work
If you don't mind, I'll take on of the photos and show you.

The 2nd picture doesn't look a little flat/cold to you?
Maybe a little bit, but I think it works well with the light sandy surroundings. Maybe a boost to the saturation would give it a little extra oomph.

Does this version look better to you? Or you're just not fond of the picture, at all?
This one does look better to me...mostly because the color looks better. I don't mind the close crop of the first one. I'm still not sold on the expression...but her parents might like it.

What do you think? I might have gone a bit too far and given it a darker feel but I think it helps.

1-4.jpg
951-1-4.jpg

With the coloring tweaked, I actually think #3 is my favorite. hehe. I like how drawn into her eyes I am in that one. She seems slightly stiff to me in #1.

From where Im sitting, I think these look fantastic. The second version of #3 is much better since you corrected the color. I like the crop and I dont think the expression is all that bad. Mike's vignette example is good. However, you can do it to varying degrees of darkness on the edges and corners.

For vignetting, this is my method if you want to use it (in photoshop).

For full res images, I add a blank new layer, and draw an oval marquee around the whole inside of the frame. Use a feather setting of 200 px so that you have a nice gradient transition from dark to light. Then do Select > Inverse. Select the paint bucket tool and set the opacity to about 30 or 40% depending on how dark you want to make the vignette. Then click on the outer edge. Flatten the layers and save the image. Prepare it for web viewing however you usually do it.

If you have it already in the size for web viewing and want to add a vignette, instead of doing 200 px feathered oval, use 50 px feather (or thereabouts). This also works for different color vignettes, such as white, although I wouldnt recommend using any other colors, since I havent seen it done that way in which it looks any good.

Experiment and have fun. I think the vignetting used in certain images could really give it that last little bit of sophistication and professional classiness. Your work is outstanding. :)

NJ

I think all of your images are wonderful but there is something a little disturbing about the first one. I don't know what it is and it has nothing to do with the subject or the photo there is just something about it.

I think they are all really great :D The first one is really artistic.. not something I'd hang on my wall, but something I'd put in my portfolio :) I'd edit that foot coming out of the head in the 2nd shot.. erase it completely. And the 3rd is perfect. Great shots :)

Hey guys- thanks for all the wonderful feedback & NJMAN for the photoshop tutorial.

I guess that is what art is - controversial..

I also see something haunting about the first shot but that's why I like it...I think it's different & interesting to me.

The girl in the photo has a HUGE personality..and she was being all "dramatic" just standing there...

This is gonna be a controversial opinion, but I think the picture is too cold and for me, cold picture doesn't work well with children. That's why I like Big Mike edit better and that's also why I like the color in the original third shot better but then I like the composition of the the second third shot better lol. Well, anyways, just my taste.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back