How do things work if you photograph a client?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to start making some money on the side by going out looking for people to photograph. (I have a skate park at a city park near my house) I want to possibly find people willing to pay me for good pictures. Is there anything formal I should do? I dont want them to republish them anywhere or make duplicates n such. I dont want to be crazy about this but I also want to make money without getting screwed.

Should I create a contract? How extensive are these contracts? Can I make a contract myself? What are things to cover in a contract?

Or is there something else I should do?

Contracts are a must! Always use one for your protection. Also if you want to put their photo in a portfolio you need that in the contract.
Here is a line from mine.
This Constitutes an order for photographs, albums and prints. It is understood that any and all proofs, sample prints, and negatives remain the property of Mary Walraven Photography and they may be used for advertising, display or any purposed thought proper by Mary Walraven Photography.

Google photography contracts that's how I pieced mine together.

cool thanks, never thought to google it

Actually what I want to do is find a 18+ year old skateboarder who is willing to pay money for shots, but it would be meeting them for first time at skate park. I currently dont know anyone so ya...

basically I would meet them, sign contract and take pictures the same day, then pring and receive money.

Anyone have suggestions on how about I should do this properly?

Actually what I want to do is find a 18+ year old skateboarder who is willing to pay money for shots, but it would be meeting them for first time at skate park. I currently dont know anyone so ya...

basically I would meet them, sign contract and take pictures the same day, then pring and receive money.

Anyone have suggestions on how about I should do this properly?

Get a friend and do some sample shots. Then when you go to them, you have examples. Make some flyers, maybe with one of the pictures on it, and offer your services to them.

Thats to the thing, none of my friends skateboard haha

If none of them skateboard, head to the park and find someone willing to allow you to photograph them..

If you have never done this type of shooting before, don't expect money for a shoot. Find a single person who is willing to allow you to shoot them in return for free files of the photos. That should help you get some experience/portfolio stuff. Then you can go more prepared the next time with flyers and what not.

Start slow, you must crawl before you can walk ( you must have some experience before you can be a pro )

You need to think about the sale from the buyers perspective. If a person walked up to you and said they will photograph you for X amuont of dollars yet had no examples to show you would you pay them? You're better shooting someone for free take the best shots and create a flyer/brochure then stick them all over the place at the skate park. You oculd also make a real nice portfolio to bring to the park and approach people directly. Bottom line you need examples that far exceed what their friend could do with a regular old Point and Shoot

Also think about how many 18 year old skaters have money to spend purchasing prints. I would target skate and lifestyle magazines.

)'(

What do you mean target the magazines?

Edit: I only have the kit lens for the XTi and my 50mm so im probably gonna try to use the 50mm

Most reactions

Back