How do you carry your gear when outside moving around?

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you're shooting a sporting event, wedding, or anything that requires you to carry a body and multiple lenses plus necessary accessories, how do you carry your gear?

I used to carry everything in cargo pockets. But it made it difficult to walk around with heavy lenses swinging in the pockets.

So I recently bought this:

Newswear-104.jpg

It's a photo journalist vest that carries an extra body, 4-5 lenses, flashes, and other goodies. I've only used it once and it's amazing. It's more comfortable than a traditional vest that covers your entire torso and it also carries more.

I wish I had this with me when I was walking around at the WWII reenactment!

What do you use?

Sorry, here ya go:

Newswear | About us

I have the Mens Digital (black) vest. It's very well made and very comfortable to wear.

I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those, i would feal a right jerk

i would say it looks like a standard method of carry for serious p.journalists on the move.

i would feel slightly more jerky if my pants dropped in the middle of a shoot due to overloaded cargo pocekts:lol:

plus there isn't a pouch big enough for the 300mm f2.8 IS (that is what he is really annoyed about ;))

As for myself it sits all in the backpack - a right pain if you want a quick change, but easier to walk with on a longer trip I find. A photographers vest is something that I have considered for accessories and such as well as the odd smaller lens since I tend to use larger lenses these sorts of setup are just not as suitable (I am not having a heavy telephoto swinging into my leg every other step!

i have one of those camera bags w/ wheels. i was tired of focusing on my equipment and wanted more freedom to focus on quality shots.

It's that or one of these, and these aren't nearly as flexible and are just as "jerky" looking.

Tamrac153m_tan.jpg

What do you use that's less "jerky" looking?

That looks like a pretty good setup Tharmsen.

I use this: it holds my 600 f/4 IS with body attached, has a place to secure my tripod w/ wimberley head and 3 slip-loc cases for teleconverters, wide lenses, flash, and accessories.
If you feel "jerky" wearing something, you obviously are wearing it for the wrong reasons. It its practical and works, I say go for it!

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

plus there isn't a pouch big enough for the 300mm f2.8 IS (that is what he is really annoyed about ;))

As for myself it sits all in the backpack - a right pain if you want a quick change, but easier to walk with on a longer trip I find. A photographers vest is something that I have considered for accessories and such as well as the odd smaller lens since I tend to use larger lenses these sorts of setup are just not as suitable (I am not having a heavy telephoto swinging into my leg every other step!

The 300 goes over the shoulder on a monopod and other camera and lens over other shoulder and i'm ready to shoot on the move

I have a tamrac backpack for when i'm hiking, and a tamrac system 6 for everything else.

Flowepro Flipside 300.

What I like is that it's a backpack style that you don't have to take off to access the gear. Plus the zipper is on the side facing your back so theft is next to impossible.

flipside300interior.jpg

14883.jpg

i use a Slingshot Pro AW300 for my 75-300mm, 18-55mm, 50mm, Filters, Lens hoods Tripods (3 -4 mini tripods) and 2 - 3 bottles of beer :p and the rest of the little velcro padsand my sd cards, cables, torch (hand held) jsut the basics really, could propably get a body in too (not a human body...)

I've tried the backpack thing and it's too slow and cumbersome.

I've played with the backpack's that swing to the front and have a flap for accessing more of the stuff, but found it also to be cumbersome for me. That, and I could only easily access the camera and a couple of lenses that were on top, otherwise I had to go digging. Since I keep the camera around my neck, I just needed something to organize lenses and keep them at the ready, and distribute the load so that it doesn't become a nuisance. I also found sitting down in something like a chair to be very difficult with a backpack. With the vest I can even jump in a car easily without taking it off.

I keep a backpack for carrying stuff to locations, but I don't like having it on while I shoot.

So far the vest is the best solution I've found. But I'm always on the look out for other nifty gear. :)

I'm actually in the market for a different "walking around" bag. This looks pretty sweet, thanks for the link!

I have a backpack, but it's a hassle to get in and out of (gotta take it off). I just like it because it holds all of my gear. That way when I leave I just grab it and go.

Most reactions

Back