How do you copyright

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For future reference, how do you copyright your photos so that it doesn't turn into a right-click save fest? Like when someone right clicks on a photo, it says "copyrighted!"

in two words... You cant.

If is is online there is one way or another to save it.

edit: it is possible to make it harder but in the end if you post them you should assume they will be taken. For the most part there is not much you can do about it aside from sending out take down letters to people who do.

edit: it is possible to make it harder but in the end if you post them you should assume they will be taken. For the most part there is not much you can do about it aside from sending out take down letters to people who do.
I browse other peoples photo websites. I saw an awesome photo a while back, I tried to right click on it, and when I did, it said something like "copyrighted, all rights reserved."

I browse other peoples photo websites. I saw an awesome photo a while back, I tried to right click on it, and when I did, it said something like "copyrighted, all rights reserved."

That depends more on WHERE you post it (Flickr does that for instance) but they can still do a screen shot if they want to!

I would be interested to see that. Could you post a link? If is possible that it is embedded in a flash blob so the actual image file is not really there. Many people ese flash cause you can get around things like that but i would never recomend flash for anything lol.

Some web sites have a script that shows a 'copyright' message, but a person could still just make a screen shot.

As soon as your camera writes the image data to the memory card, your photo is copyrighted. However, here in the US you really can't enforce your copyright until you register it with the US Copyright Office, which is part of the Library of Congress.

www.copyright.gov

Not sure, but I know how to write copy...

Actually, there's a script that interface producers and web developers use that causes the particular website to do that. It's largely ineffective for anyone that knows the first thing about web, and has a resource viewer.

I suppose a deterrent is a deterrent though, however obsolete.

That isn't copyright - that is copy protection.

Copy protection, online, is basically impossible. I can right click save; I can go to my webcache; I can print screen on the keyboard - through those methods any hosted photo online with open access is copyable. Furthermore most watermarks can be easily removed with editing unless you smear them all over the whole photo to the point where removal is impossible - however by that point the photo itself is also pretty impossible to see.

Generally the best protections are:

1) Don't use key wordings - on hosts which host the photo don't make use of key words/search terms or titles for the photo. If you put up limited details then search engines can't find it. Of course if you're running a company or want exposure of the photo this is clearly not a suitable approach.

2) Small sizes - a 720 through to 1000 pixel on the longest side photo is fairly big enough for posting online whilst at the same time is also pretty small. It limits the potential printing possibilities with it.

3) Copyright statements in the EXIF data (normally added in through the camera using software in hookup or you can enter details through EXIF changes such as through lightroom). This attaches a copyright statement into the EXIF of the photo, granted it can be removed but often people forget to do so and it can stand as your proof should you find the photo used elsewhere on the net

4) Copyright/signatures on the photo - generally most photographers use smaller notations in the corner for this, allowing that the photo can still be seen without being obscured. Further this approach means light copying will often mean that the signature is left on so advertises yourself if the photo should head around the net.

5) Registering your copyright status (US) whilst you have copyright (in most western nations) from the moment of creation; registration of the copyright in the USA increase the potential financial protections you have available. Specific details on this will vary country to country (eg in the UK you don't need to register at all). If you're a working professional its best to get this advice direct from a legal source (ie a lawyer).

5) Registering your copyright status (US) whilst you have copyright (in most western nations) from the moment of creation; registration of the copyright in the USA increase the potential financial protections you have available. Specific details on this will vary country to country (eg in the UK you don't need to register at all). If you're a working professional its best to get this advice direct from a legal source (ie a lawyer).

One more recommendation is to shoot raw and keep them safe! This way you have the original capture and if you keep it safe you will be the only one able to produce it as evidence that you indeed are the copy right holder (no more he said she said)
Anyone who asks me for raw files gets a resounding NO!

I put a thumbnail of each image I have taken in a 3 month period, fill out the forms, write the check and mail it to the Copyright office.

You can get right click protection through website programs. Sites like SmugMug have the right click protection option.

Once it's on the web there's also Digimarc which embeds a digital copyright and you can track where your image goes. But like KmH said above if you ever get to the point where people are lifting your images, best to register it with the government.

You can get right click protection through website programs. Sites like SmugMug have the right click protection option.

Once it's on the web there's also Digimarc which embeds a digital copyright and you can track where your image goes. But like KmH said above if you ever get to the point where people are lifting your images, best to register it with the government.

I saw this while researching, but registering with gov sounds like a better idea. The site I just posted says you can disable the right-click function.

I saw this while researching, but registering with gov sounds like a better idea. The site I just posted says you can disable the right-click function.

Registering your images makes is much much easier to pursue legal action against infringers.

Most reactions

Back