How do you get this kind of shot?

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
California wildfires (yet again) - The Big Picture - Boston.com

I was looking on the net for some photo inspiration and found this shot and thought it was awesome. Now I'm wondering how you get it.

I was thinking you put your camera in manual mode, read the exposure from the sky and make your settings, then focus on your subject and shoot. Is that right? The reason I'm asking is because on my way home everyday i have a similar scene that presents itself and I wanted to snap a photo of it. Any advice?

That's it. Although they may well have used a ND filter too, but I really doubt it.

Good! I'm starting to get better at analyzing a photo. Any tips on starting a huge fire now...?

Err. I'm not paranoid, but even I wouldn't go there.

Err. I'm not paranoid, but even I wouldn't go there.

Perhaps he's right. Anyways thanks everyone for the tips on getting this kind of shot. I'll have to try it on the way home if the sky cooperates, it was a bit too cloudy this morning.

If it's an option on your camera, spot metering would make it a lot easier to read your exposure off of the sky. Evaluative may or may not be reliable, and a center-weighted. . . I just don't trust those. Spot metering is great for things like this.

wow some of those shots are incredible. the one of the fire whirl is an example of great timing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back