How do you "hack" a camera (300d to be exact)?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so someone told me that people who owned the first gen Digital Rebels (the 300Ds) would download "unofficial firmware updates" which unlocked certain features like rear-curtain sync. Have you heard of anyone doing this, and if so, how easy or hard is it to do? Is it in any way dangerous to the camera?

I am just curious, that's all :)

I think its only with the P&S's. It lets you like shoot i RAW and get histograms and such

i know what you're talking about and it unlocked things that were found in the 10D.

i don't know how to do it.

with the S3IS point and shoot I think the hack went on the memory cards rather than the camera, never did it though

It's a firmware you download to the camera usually via memory card. My friend who has my old 300D did this and it now has things like 3200 ISO capability(although I wouldn't suggest using it).

Yes, it's a 'firmware hack'...so you download the new firmware and then install it as per the instructions (it's either on a card or via a USB cable).

The deal is that when Canon came out with the Rebel (300D) & 10D...they used the same platform...with a few differences. The 10D got a better body and on the Rebel they simply disabled some of the features. The new firmware just 'un-locks' those features.

An interrupted firmware update can render your camera useless though, be cautious and research the firmware first and read others experiences with it.

Most reactions

Back