How do you keep from freezing up?

JMBriggs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have done a couple sessions as favors for friends, and for some reason I freeze up and then all my creative ideas go out the window!!! It is so frustrating afterward going through the pictures and seeing the results when I know I am capable of much better. What methods do you guys use to stay loose and focused on your task and not worry about the people your taking pictures of so much? (that was a bad way of phrasing that, but hopefully you're pickin up what I'm layin down... =D

(oh and btw, my friends have always loved the results and recommended me to their friends and family, so I know I do ok... I just want to be able to loosen up and do things to MY standards... Not my friends' (who know nothing about photography at all...))

Well part of this will come with more confidence and more practice - the more you shoot the more the basic ideas and poses will slip into the back of your mind, leaving you more free to consider more variations upon them. Rather like how exposure control starts out complex, but fast shifts to the back of your mind till its second nature.

Another way is to pre-plan and write down notes. View the area you are going to shoot before the shoot - get ideas and have some pointers for yourself written down to go through on the day so that you don't forget.

Everything Overread said and may I also suggest doing something before hand that relaxes or inspires you. This could be anything from music to reading or even a simple beverage :)

nmoody said:
or even a simple beverage :)

anything that relaxes you?
I don't THINK he is suggesting alcohol.. hmm.
haha but seriously, I also do that a lot.. or not necessarily freeze up, but I know I can't think solely about the photo when others are there :(
it really does just take practice. :)
I find myself going through post thinking 'i should've done this, or THIS' and it seems so obvious but my mind was probably racing during the shoot..
I find myself doing it a teeny less with more practice :)
.. if practice doesn't help, you could always try the other user's drink suggestion hahah ;)

Thanks for all the tips... I try to be extra prepared but get so nervous I usually completely forget my notes! I re-read two of my most helpful portrait photography books and now an hour before a seniors session I'm shaking and feel like I might be sick! The drink is really starting to sound good! I think I will do a little yoga and just MAKE myself loosen up... Wish me luck!

Write your ideas down, then they cannot "go out of the window".

Also, read up on whatever kind of photography you want to do, that should help too.

Thanks for all the tips... I try to be extra prepared but get so nervous I usually completely forget my notes! I re-read two of my most helpful portrait photography books [...]
I can tell you as much as you definitely shouldnt reread these books right before the session.

Solarflare said:
I can tell you as much as you definitely shouldnt reread these books right before the session.

Oops...

good luck!
loosen up,
and let us know how it goes :)

you will get better each session. with time you may even feel silly that you were nervous in the first place :)

I'm not exactly sure what kinda of photos you take, but in what I do just keeping conversation going or having some music in the background does wonders. And being somewhat in experienced will have a little factor in that, you're worried too much about what your doing instead of letting instinct kick in which will eventually happen. But I still lose alot of my pregame ideas when it comes time to use them, but ive got alot of other things on my plate to worry about.

I used to be active on an amateur pool league. It was the first time I'd been in a competitive situation with a hobby and I was suffering from performance anxiety horribly for several weeks and I was playing well below my ability.

I did tons of research and from everything I read the best way to deal with it is just stay in practice and keep at it. It worked for me. The anxiety never went away but I was able to suppress it and focus on the job at hand and I went up 2 skill ranks in a matter of a few weeks and another the following year.

Pool is more like photography than you might think at first glance. A great pool player is part scientist, part artist, but you can't ever be a great artist until you master the science. Same for photographers. And mastery, for a lot of things, means having it so practiced that it comes almost without conscious thought. Once the science is almost automatic then the artist comes out more easily.

I'd problaby skip the books an hour before you shoot. Sounds like yoru trying to cram a bunch of information in your brain right before you go out causing yourself to just stress out and go blank. Read up before hand, day before or a few days before and go in knowing your capable. If your friends and family area always happy with your results, tell youself that before you go out and realise your going to get them something they are happy with and stop thinking so much. The more you do it the more comfortable it should become. I started out with friends, and once that become comfortable I went to Model Mayhem so I'm still just doing practice work, but it's being done with complete strangers. I was always a shy person. always letting everyone else lead the conversation, not sure what to say. So for me and my learning process, interacting with people was just as important a skill as getting that good shot. Talking with the person yoru shooting with, getting to know them. finding out about your day makes things go easier, it also helps you relax when your having a nice conversation as your shooting.

Visualize it.
Script it.
Do the choreography.

In fact, I'd suggest you do it once and review the results with your model(s).
Modify the script to pick up on what worked, what didn't.

Reshoot, following the new script.

If everyone is stiff, warm up with silly faces, charades, whatever...
But by using a script that you worked out with your models, you're like actors (they) with a director (you) following the script and going through sets and takes. Take breaks, keep loose.

Most reactions

Back