How do you know?

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have read in a few places that a photographer knows what he will need to bring. I know you guys will probably give me tons of crap for this one but I am stumped because what if something comes up and you need that lens or something special that you don't have. Wouldn't it be better to go by the 'ol boyscout motto "always be prepared"? For example, if I'm out looking for moose or something and only decided to bring a small zoom lens but the moose is 200' away and the lens won't zoom quite enough to get a good shot. I think I would rather carry the extra lens than miss out on a good shot.
I understand that "you'll know the more you shoot" idea but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Or buy a 28-300mm IS lens that way your prepared for anything....

Even if you bring all the lenses you need there is a solid chance you will miss the shot if you aren't using the right one at the right time.

There is no way to tell you how to be prepared, but your best bet is ask a lot of questions. What will you be doing? What distance will your subjects be most often? What kind of tools will you need for your equipment? Do you need protective housing to keep your camera safe? A tripod? A monopod?

If you are being hired, your client should know enough about the event to give you a solid idea, you can visit the location to scout out what you will need ahead of time.

A good photographer brings a wide range of primes 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm are all nice sizes, plus a zoom just in case. Bring snoots for your flash, maybe a stand and umbrella if you have the chance to set up a shot, always bring plenty of gaffers tape, more memory cards then you need.

The problem is no one can answer the question of what do I need besides you, because you need to understand what the shoot will involve, what obstacles may come up (don't plan on your camera always working, most photographers dual wield their cameras for a good reason, besides of course having 2 different lenses at once)

Research is easily your best friend when it comes to photography :)

Thanks guys
BTW, what do you use the gaffers tape for? Is it to wrap around your lens to protect it (what I've seen a professional do)?

If I'm going on a walk to do some shooting, I take a backpack with the following:

- Camera
- 17-40 f/4L
- 24-70 f/2.8L
- 70-200 f/2.8L IS
- 580EXII (w/defuser)
- cleaning kit
- rocket blower
- spare memory cards
- owners manual (digital version on iPhone)
- couple of filters (UV and polarized)

I then have just about everything I might need for a hike around town.

If I'm doing a location shoot, I take pretty much everything I own in a HUGE bag.

If I'm going on a walk to do some shooting, I take a backpack with the following:

- Camera
- 17-40 f/4L
- 24-70 f/2.8L
- 70-200 f/2.8L IS
- 580EXII (w/defuser)
- cleaning kit
- rocket blower
- spare memory cards

If I'm doing a location shoot, I take pretty much everything I own in a HUGE bag.
Haha I saw that HUGE bag from your post on Manaheim's question about camera bags.

Or buy a 28-300mm IS lens that way your prepared for anything....
:lol:
Nice one, mate :p.

Anyway, on topic, to be honest I don't know what I may need on a shoot. I mean, if I know I'll only be shooting macro photos, I'll probably leave my flashgun at home (the lens casts a strong shadow when I'm using flash), but I'll still take my other lenses, just in case. I think it's best to be safe than sorry, and take everything you can. That way, if an opportunity arises, you will probably be prepared, more or less.

my camera bag usually consists of all the essentials ... i just don't have a backup camera. thats all =) and I make sure the battery is fully charged before I leave the house.

- Camera
- 17-40 f/4L
- 24-70 f/2.8L
- 70-200 f/2.8L IS
- 580EXII (w/defuser)
- cleaning kit
- rocket blower
- spare memory cards

looks like he gots it all coverd.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back