How do you like to do your B&W?

I use aperture and add a b&w skin then adjust contrast,definition, exposure to my liking. :)

$image-3015686367.jpg

That's what I did to this.

I take it out for dinner and a show first.

I will thanks Gary!

How did you come across the channels method? I was searching for a way to imitate IR film and using channels was a part of the process. Since I've found out about it, it's become my favourite way to convert to b&w as I feel it gives me the most control. I'm sure there are other methods that work well, but I haven't come across them yet. I haven't really been looking either. I have read about some plug-ins for PS, but haven't tried any of them yet.

I agree, the sky does look quite odd in that shot.

Film is best, this is HP5 at iso 800 or 1600 can't remember
403765456_6xBgw-L.jpg
On my monitor this has serious magenta tones, is this a result of the scan?When I first started to convert I used Channel mixing, now I use Silver Flex Pro.

I see magenta tones in that too. It looks like it was scanned in a color colorspace instead of greyscale.

I have tried CS5, Lightroom and Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2. I prefer Silver Efex Pro 2 because of the presets which I can then customize and/or use their u-point capability to tweak the results. I also like the various options they have to "imitate" different filters and film types.

WesternGuy

Film is best, this is HP5 at iso 800 or 1600 can't remember
403765456_6xBgw-L.jpg
On my monitor this has serious magenta tones, is this a result of the scan?When I first started to convert I used Channel mixing, now I use Silver Flex Pro.

It has a bit probably from the scan, i don't scan them any more, i get them done when developed

when did this get res'd? haha but im now using the B&W layer option and im playing around with the filter sliders for results, then adding other layers like curves and contrast to get a nice effect.

should i shoot HDR and convert to B&W for really popping pictures of land/city/seascapes?

I use lightroom, best way in my opinion and if anything else needs tweaks you can go ahead and do it right there.

There are a hundred good ways to do B&W conversion, but I prefer Photoshop's channel mixer. It's easy and very powerful (especially if you choose from the presets). And because it's added as a layer, you can fade the effect of the conversion, you can play with blending modes and you can emphasize certain colours if you prefer...
Yeah. And sometimes I add high contrast in this way: High Contrast Black And White Ad | Photo Effects | PSHERO

Most reactions

Back