What's new

How do you manually focus at night?

Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
595
Reaction score
72
Location
Portland, OR
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at a local pond that has a water fountain/fall in an attempt to shooing long exposure water during the night. Upon my arrival I found the spot I wanted to focus on darker than expected. As such I couldn't really see well enough to focus.

I ended up taking a 15 to 30 second exposure, then adjusting focus manually based on the previous shot, then try again. Here are the results.

How do others tackle this? I thought about bringing a high powered flashlight, using the flashlight to illuminate the subject for focusing, then going for the exposure.

Thoughts? Comments on how they DID turn out with my bizarre focusing technique :P

1:
4590727873_62cdb446e3_b.jpg


2:
4591347278_228dda848c_b.jpg


3:
4590726877_6ec0cb169e_b.jpg
 
I like the first two.

You're pretty much on the money with the flashlight - that's why AF at night will either use the built-in AF lamp (little red light in some cameras), fire the popup flash during focusing, or use the AF assist lamp on your external speedlight if you have one.
 
Flashlight :)
I like #1, it's just over all a warm image to look at.
#2,3, honestly not to sure what I'm looking at.
 
Last edited:
you can just focus on infinity or use the hyperfocal distance...
 
I am a caver. I have a little P&S that I take into the caves with me. The auto focus has a hard time with this environment. I will often aim my headlamp at the object that I want focused. Allow the camera to focus (this could be done manually with a DSLR but I'm not taking mine into a cave). I then turn off the headlamp and snap the picture. I've gotten some pretty good results by doing this.
1341116718_1b692fa7ba_b.jpg

The flash will wash things out at close range. I've also gotten gotten some decent pictures by turning off the flash and using just my headlamp.

On a recent trip to Hawaii, I did take my Nikon into the Hana Lavatube. (a tourist cave). This was taken using a 30 second exposure with the camera sitting on a rock. The only lighting was 4 high powered LED flashlights used to "paint" the walls.
4128650163_1c9c61f16c_b.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom