How do you normally shoot? (Mode)

Please select your 'go to' mode that you use most often.

• Manual

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Aperture Priority

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Shutter Priority

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Program Auto

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Full Auto

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
As I am only going on 3 weeks into photography my main mode of use is (P) but I have found that lately i have been moving a lot more toward (A) I still dont understand everything thats readily available in mode (M).. I mean i know how to adjust the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc but i dont know what values are good for what yet..

i shoot Manual most of the time. aperture priority some of the time. shutter priority less of the time.

I am shooting in manual. I just started (literally this past weekend) and figured it best to learn how to fully control the settings.

I mostly shoot program, then either aperture or shutter. But manual on a new camera makes no sense. Why use the cameras built-in meter and trust it, but yet not trust it to tell you what range of apertures and shutter speeds would work with that same light? If you don't like the answers it gives you, you can adjust the EV compensation. I think most manual dudes are either DIYers, or throwbacks from the day where manual did things others didn't.

For me, its program with EV compensation. Now if I was using an external light meter, totally manual But not because I don't trust my camera. If I am not going to trust my camera, I shouldn't buy it.

I'd say half and half: AP & Manual. I'm still learning so I usually do one AP and one manual and compare the results at home. But when I'm out with people I usually do AP so they don't have to wait for me to test and adjust haha.

Why use the cameras built-in meter and trust it, but yet not trust it to tell you what range of apertures and shutter speeds would work with that same light?

It's not about trusting the meter. It's about control.

I trust my meter 100%. Knowing what your meter is telling you is what takes time to learn.

I mostly shoot program, then either aperture or shutter. But manual on a new camera makes no sense. Why use the cameras built-in meter and trust it, but yet not trust it to tell you what range of apertures and shutter speeds would work with that same light? If you don't like the answers it gives you, you can adjust the EV compensation. I think most manual dudes are either DIYers, or throwbacks from the day where manual did things others didn't.

For me, its program with EV compensation. Now if I was using an external light meter, totally manual But not because I don't trust my camera. If I am not going to trust my camera, I shouldn't buy it.

Aperture controls much more than just exposure. I mainly shoot in Aperture mode to control the DOF and the sharpness, as my camera typically goes for wider Apertures and faster shutter speeds, which isn't always at the sharpest aperture. I wish there was a way to set your preferred aperture, and then have the camera move up or down from that, rather than just go to wide open.

I wish there was a way to set your preferred aperture, and then have the camera move up or down from that, rather than just go to wide open.

That would be pretty cool.

It probably just tries to get the fastest shutter speed possible to avoid camera shake.

Aperture controls much more than just exposure. I mainly shoot in Aperture mode to control the DOF and the sharpness, as my camera typically goes for wider Apertures and faster shutter speeds, which isn't always at the sharpest aperture. I wish there was a way to set your preferred aperture, and then have the camera move up or down from that, rather than just go to wide open.

You can mimic that in Aperture mode. And I will use aperture mode when needed. But when you can program shift to ANY working aperture/shutter speed combo, it has just as much power as any of the other modes.

I trust my meter 100%. Knowing what your meter is telling you is what takes time to learn.

I know its about control. You're a do it yourselfer, like I said. Its cool. Just as long as people know you can get 99% of the shots out there using program mode.

I know its about control. You're a do it yourselfer, like I said. Its cool. Just as long as people know you can get 99% of the shots out there using program mode.

Yeah, probably.

I agree with you - manual mode is mostly for those that either have never known anything else, or control freaks. Me, personally, I like the control.

Thanks for the feedback/input - I find it interesting to learn why people choose what they do.

i use P mostly, but i also enjoy A and S.

full manual i reserve for when i'm feeling patient, and not like i better get the shot before it disappears. im just not comfortable enough in manual yet to employ it full time. ill get there.
that is one thing i must say about loving my old 70's rig. totally mechanical, not an electronic thing on it. forcing manual helped me learn.
now im just lazy :D

Yeah, probably.

I agree with you - manual mode is mostly for those that either have never known anything else, or control freaks. Me, personally, I like the control.

haha control freaks!!

Well, I do agree with O|||||||O that sometimes, you have no choice but using manual mode. Especially when I use a flash (with a bounce card).

All these were taken in manual mode with flash on.

3593306050_41004f143b_m.jpg

3592499249_2a8cc95acb_m.jpg

3592499457_71874cc6aa_m.jpg

Without flash, most of time I will use AV mode.

But then again, use the mode that can help you get the desire result. The end result is all that matter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back