How do you shoot? With one or both eyes open?

Camz, if you make it vertical and the bottom of the camera on your left and you use your left eye, wouldn't that make it really awkward? Your shutter is at the bottom and you can't use the vertical grip shutter button.

I suppose it would. I don't have battery grips on any of my bodies but I guess if you have the shutter release below on a vertical stance won't be as ideal...I think Kundalini's shooting style shows that it is still possible to view above the right hand even with the left eye in the finder. Where I see that it wouldn't be applicable is for photographers who attach a flash bracket or some sort that may be in the way.

I shoot my camera with my left eye open, right eye closed. But with my rifle, I shoot with my right, and it is difficult. Which is possibly why I am not the most successful hunter. Hahah. I need to train myself to shoot with both eyes open.

I am not sure if this helps but I have always found that when shooting action or moving objects, it is best to do so with both eyes open. I am also not sure that I have ever seen a "lefty" camera. I have trained left-eye and right-eye photographers. I recommend using the right eye on the view finder either way in order to avoid complications later (ie. shooting vertically).

Michael
http://www.miketsmithphoto.com

Like alot of things, what works for one won't work for someone else, obviously eye use, camera type will factor into all kinds of situations.

I tend to shoot both eyes opens (right eye on the viewfinder) especially when I shoot wildlife. I can't afford to focus only on what is in the viewfinder, I need a bit a situational awareness to make sure I'm not missing "the" shot, "the" moment! It's good practice when it comes to firearm to be able to shoot with both eyes, gives a better awareness.

I was taught to shoot with both eyes open, which when shooting live television allows you to avoid anything that is close but NOT in the viewfinder. I follow the same rule for photography and it produces better composition when you are shooting live events.

skieur

The biggest problem I had to overcome shooting Nikon digital cameras is positioning my nose. I kept seeing the focal point box in my viewfinder doing cirles and thinking I had a bad camera. It turned out that the tip of my nose was depressing the Multi-selector button was causing this. Made a slight adjustment at address and all is well now.

I had to think about that one! Normally one eye closed, but both eyes open sometimes. Hahaha. I can't decide!

The clients might have the impression that your winking at them :sexywink:

I shoot with my left eye looking through the viewfinder, second eye always closed.

Taping a black card on top of the camera...now that's thinking outside the box. I like using the sun for back lighting so often I shoot against it when I use flash on a series. Since I shoot with both eyes open it gets tricky in this situation...I think I'm going to have to steal your visor idear. No patents pending, or intellectual rights on this one do we? lol :thumbup:

Im not sure why, but I havent been trying that to much with direct sunlight, I usually just scope out the shaded areas, im going to have to give this a try. :) Im not sure why I havent, its not a new concept to me. :)

I normally shoot with an eye closed, but with some things I use both eyes, if I have to be aware of my surroundings, mostly for sports or fast moving things, or if im trying to anticipate something.

One or both, depending on the situation.

Taping a black card on top of the camera...now that's thinking outside the box. I like using the sun for back lighting so often I shoot against it when I use flash on a series. Since I shoot with both eyes open it gets tricky in this situation...I think I'm going to have to steal your visor idear. No patents pending, or intellectual rights on this one do we? lol :thumbup:

Im not sure why, but I havent been trying that to much with direct sunlight, I usually just scope out the shaded areas, im going to have to give this a try. :) Im not sure why I havent, its not a new concept to me. :)

Yeah shooting in sync with the sun is great for portability. You don't need a rim, accent, hair lights etc etc...the sun can do it all for you :) In this case I typically need just one flash upfront. With today's powerful flashes, I believe that the golden hours of shooting doesn't really apply any longer.

5385639575_b13dd78181_b.jpg

both eyes closed....

seriously, usually right eye looking, left eye closed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back