How does Nikon handle online repairs?

Shakedown St.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My F5 is in need of servicing, I filled out Nikon's online quote form and they had me give them my credit card.

It then showed me a map of qualified Nikon repair service centers, and so I decided to ship out my camera to a random one I chose with the paper in the box stating "payed by credit card", with contact information which Nikon instructed I place in the box.

My question is, how will the camera repair center know what I am talking about if they have not spoken to me or Nikon directly? How do they get payed, I gave Nikon my credit card online but am in no contact with the store I chose to send my camera to.

However, that is what Nikon instructed me to do. Did I make a mistake or missing something, help much appreciated!

If you did not receive a receipt from Nikon, ask for it. If they don't have a receipt, then they probably did not charge your card. The next call would be to the credit card company to verify.

What country?
Yes. Check the charges against your card.

The list Nikon USA provides is a list of Nikon Authorized repair shops.
Nikon USA Service doesn't give a cost of a repair until they have inspected the camera.
I bet the authorized repair shops do the same.
After all, they can't determine exactly what needs to be done to effect a repair and how much to charge for the work until they actually have the camera in hand.

FWIW - It's paid (past tense of pay money or some other form of payment) - Paid by credit card.
"I paid the dinner bill".
"I paid him back by hitting him in the nose."
"I paid the lawyer by painting his house".

Not payed (past tense of an action involving things like fishing line, rope or cable).
"I payed out the rope to adjust the sail".
"He pulled and the cabled payed out off the reel".
"I wanted more slack so I payed out more fishing line".

Nikon's webiste here, they estimated my repair to fix an F5 error code would be $237, and asked to input my credit card.

I sceduled a repair, but do not remeber if I was supposed to send to a specific location. It just showed up a map with Nikon service centers, and I chose one myself to ship to.

Nikon Service and Repair

My F5 is in need of servicing, I filled out Nikon's online quote form and they had me give them my credit card.

It then showed me a map of qualified Nikon repair service centers, and so I decided to ship out my camera to a random one I chose with the paper in the box stating "payed by credit card", with contact information which Nikon instructed I place in the box.

My question is, how will the camera repair center know what I am talking about if they have not spoken to me or Nikon directly? How do they get payed, I gave Nikon my credit card online but am in no contact with the store I chose to send my camera to.

However, that is what Nikon instructed me to do. Did I make a mistake or missing something, help much appreciated!

FYI, you have should take pictures of the camera before you put in the box and also of it i the box for your records, Nikon places have been known to claim,' it was like that when we got it', 'smashed up', But thats now in hind sight.

I would check my card company statement online or otherwise to see if the charge some kind of holding fee. Ring the place and ring Nikon or online chat until you get answers. On the other hand you could say nothing and perhaps get it delivered back to you fixed and the charge has gone AWOL, although that is not likely.

Apparently Nikon USA doesn't service film cameras at their east & west coast Nikon USA service centers.
It sounds like you have to choose which Nikon Service Center you send your item to & make your own shipping label.

I scheduled a lens repair with Nikon USA yesterday.
Well! Poop!

Once I scheduled the repair they provided a 3 page PDF file for me to print.
One page was a shipping list to put in the box with my lens.
Page 2 was my Customer Info, what I was sending, my problem description & additional notes, the pre-approved repair estimate, accessories I sent (like lens caps) - for me to keep. I saved the PDF file to my computer but didn't print this page.
Page 3 was shipping instructions and a shipping label to Nikon's West Coast service facility - not a list of Nikon Service centers.

I pay for shipping both ways. i pay to send it and Nikon will be charging me $15 to ship the lens back.

Nikon will email me for approval before doing the repair if the cost of the repair will exceed their estimate.
That email will tell me the new cost of the repair.

Last edited:
Okay nothing was ever charged to my account, I can probably complete the repair through the company I sent it to which has great online reviews and why I chose them.

I believe I was supposed to send it to Nikon headquarters that now has my credit card card on file. I also do have many photos at every angle, it was on an eBay listing before I took it down.

So fixing is less, at least this time.

Not all repairs cost the same and not all Nikon 70-300 models are the same quality.
The higher quality 70-300s will generally cost somewhat more to repair because they are more complex lenses.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back