How far do you crop your distant birds and my recent thoughts on fine tune

Here's a pic of a Northern Flicker I caught in my backyard. The bird was about 150' away. This is cropped over 75%, shot with a 200mm on the D5100.
Clearly there are some limitations of my lens.
...I'm in the market for a longer reach!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 79
I'm starting to suspect fine tuning at a long distance has far more impact than near MFD. I was shooting my songbirds all winter someplace between 0 and +3. I don't remember exactly. But this morning I was shooting at +8 for my Ospreys. When I got home this Chickadee just had a nice pose in the sun. So even at +8 up close I think it is still looking good...

Chickadee by krisinct, on Flickr

Ideally I would be close enough/have enough reach so that I wouldn't have to do any cropping, but that is rarely the case unfortunately. Usually I just crop an image as much as I feel is needed and then let that limit what I will use the image for.

I find it useful to keep an uncropped or less cropped .PSD file just in case. I don't know of a way to crop an image as a non-destructive edit, and if you do end up needing particular dimensions or need to include a little more background to increase the pixel count a bit for printing or something you would need to start over with the RAW file.

I have examples of really cropped pictures and others I haven't really cropped at all, but I'm not sure if it would help anyone out to see them. I took a few pics today of a hawk that we keep seeing when we take the dogs for a run that we would like to try to identify. I have them cropped down to 100% and it doesn't look that great, but they are pretty useful for identification purposes. (we think we may have a rough-legged hawk but the identification is inconclusive ...)

coastalconn, a zoom lens will most likely require a different AF Fine Tune value at different focal lengths (and different apertures I believe) so it is best to calibrate it to how you shoot most regularly. For this reason, AF Fine Tune works best for primes. I think it's a case of the more you know your lens, the better. I am impressed with the sharpness that you are getting out of your Tamron @ 500mm by the way. I am hoping to upgrade my telephoto in the next year and you are making a case for those long zoom lenses ...

Great thread! Thanks to Shefjr for info on manual.

I find it useful to keep an uncropped or less cropped .PSD file just in case. I don't know of a way to crop an image as a non-destructive edit, and if you do end up needing particular dimensions or need to include a little more background to increase the pixel count a bit for printing or something you would need to start over with the RAW file.
Nikon Capture NX2 does a non-destructive crop. NOTHING that software does to a file is destructive unless the file is saved and overwritten. The file can be saved as a RAW file with a different name and all the editing steps are saved, however any and all steps can be unchecked to disable them.

My biggest problem was my lens seemed so good close up, I assumed it was just the lens. I did try fine tuning between -5 and +5 but didn't seem to make any difference. Their are so many "scientific" ways you can google. I had a moment of clarity when I was looking at a brick chimney about 300 feet away. I have my d-pad set to 100% zoom. I decided to play. Took a shoot at 0 then +10 when I zoomed in I was like holy crap!

For most of my close up shots I still have it fine tuned, even since having it married to my camera. I actually did the "scientific" test on my lens prior to sending it in to Sigma and that is what prompted me to call them and inevitably send it in. I am happier with it than I was though that is for sure. I feel like I'm getting much more consistent results.
As for chimping in the field, for me I guess I just don't feel like I'm able to really view the back of my camera well enough to make the af adjustment. Even zooming in.
Baturn, glad I could help!:thumbup:

This is my eagle shot that I was talking about where is was 126m or 413feet away. I'm fairly happy with the results.

Eagles with their nest in the background by Shefjr, on Flickr

forgot to post this one,

$RAW_0814.jpgView attachment 41972

for web this works fine, of course not print worthy. of and that's 700mm with a bird not very far away, warblers are small man

Most reactions

New Topics

Back