How highly would you rank...

I too have a tamron, I have a 70-300 zoom, and I love it... it's not as fast as I'd like...but it def. works

The Tamron that we had just died :( I found it to be not as sharp as our Tokina of a similar size but faster than the Tokina. The rest of our lenses are Canon which I have ZERO complaints about.

My Tamron 28-300 helps me to be non-intrusive. I like the results. I like the feel of the lens. Haven't explored its full potential yet. Obsessed with the Canon 50mm. :)

I believe they are no different then the major brands, they all have good and not so good lenses in their line-ups.

Arguably, one theory is to spend as much money as you can on the glass. Stick with the manufacture lenses. If you have a Nikon buy their lenses. Especially in the age of CCD's.

Walt said:
I believe they are no different then the major brands, they all have good and not so good lenses in their line-ups.

Interesting. What lenses from Nikon or Canon are not so good and instead of those, which would you choose?

I have both Sigma and Tamron. A couple of Sigma lenses for the Pentax autofocus SLR (PZ-20) and a 300mm Tamron for the Canon AE1. I absolutely loved the Tamron when shooting wildlife, very sharp and good definition, the only complaint I had it was its length/weigth being that is an older lens. The Sigma line is beyond reproach, at least one of the lenses that I work with, the 75-300mm APO zoom that I just love!

Axel said:
Walt said:

Interesting. What lenses from Nikon or Canon are not so good and instead of those, which would you choose?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is this a trick question?

Canon... If I'd be able to afford their stuff, I'd choose L glass. It's usually better than sigma.

Stuff that I'd choose from sigma, under specific circumstances:

12-24, cause I have a rebel and I want a wide angle. 10-22EFS is too expensive for what it does IMO

50-500... very sharp for a zoom like that. 100-400 from canon is "nicer" but I think that's a different beast.

Other than that... Canon is better. People get sigma, because their glass is almost as good as Canon's, BUT it costs 3x cheaper. :?

I have the Tamron 17-35mm, and the Sigma 70-300mm. The Sigma is so so, and for the price, ($150) it's a great value. The Tamron wide angle was around $450, and I have to say, it's a fantastic lens. It got great reviews and was compared to the Nikon 17-35mm, and whil I've never shot with that lens, I can say I really enjoy this one. My most recent shots of the herons were shot with the Sigma 70-300 at 300mm, f/11, and the wide angles were with the Tamron, also at f/11, just fyi.

As far as which company is better, both make great lenses, and both make crappy ones, just like Nikon and Canon :p

Fred Miranda's is a great place for lens reviews.

Most reactions

Back